cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i restore expired images in netbackup 7.6

mrauf
Level 4

Hello,

How can i restore the expire catalog images in netbackup 7.6, by mistake i expired the valid images from catalog and i would like to resote it backup. is there any possiblity to restore the images.

Master Server : netbackup.domain.com

NBU Version:- 7.6

Please kindly help me on this issue.

Thanks

Mohammed 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Depends if the images were on disk or tape.

If on disk, they have gone.

If on tape and the tape hasn;t been reusd, you can import them.

Old TN, but still valid

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100021487

View solution in original post

Thanks to each and every one for your support any how my issue is not resolved and  i am still troubleshooting, any how i got the idea i will try it resolve the issue. so going to closed this post. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Depends if the images were on disk or tape.

If on disk, they have gone.

If on tape and the tape hasn;t been reusd, you can import them.

Old TN, but still valid

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100021487

Thanks @mph999 

for your response, the image should be there in Tape drive as i kept the retention infanite, but while i insert the tape in tape library it's going directly to scratch and i am unable to import the image.

if i restore catalog backup then is it possible that it can restore catalog images too.

Thanks.

@mrauf 

Although restoring the catalog would achieve the recovery of the images, this is not really a good idea. The reason is that you will also loose from the catalog any backups that have occured after when that catalog backup was made.

As@mph999 said do the 2 phase import as shown in the article he referenced. To protect the tapes from being overwritten, move them into a different pool so that they are not accidentally used for new backups (consider even write protercting the tapes if the data is important). 

Good luck - the import process is not difficult but does take some time to scan the tape two times over.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@mrauf wrote:

......  the image should be there in Tape drive as i kept the retention infanite, but while i insert the tape in tape library it's going directly to scratch and i am unable to import the image.

@mrauf 

The moment you expired the backups, all reference to Infinite retention in NBU catalogs were removed/deleted. 
That is why the tapes were automatically moved to Scratch pool - this is normal for tapes when all images have expired.

The problem with tapes in Scratch pool is that they are now available to be overwritten. 

As @davidmoline said - move them to another pool (good idea might be to create a new IMPORT pool), then start to perform phase 1 import of all tapes, followed by phase 2 import. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot import a tape that is in the scratch pool.

Right click the tape, select change and then select a volume pool from the drop down.

Thanks for that titbit @mph999 - I didn't know that moving the tape from the scratch pool was a requirement - learn something new every day. I always did it to avoid it being considered for overwrite, so never ran into a problem (good luck rather good management) - not that I have had to perform many imports in my time.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It gets me everytime David, I always forget ....

My goal for this year is to actually do an imprt without forgetting to move the tape from scratch first .... :0)

Genericus
   VIP   

question - 

If you expire images, for example using bpexpdate,  can you reset the expiration back if you have not run a clean?

i.e. are the images immediatley gone, or does the clean remove them?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Executing bpexpdate command manually immediately triggers an image cleanup job to run, (post the manual expiration) so unfortunately it is not possible to set the expiration back.

Marianne

@mrauf 

Please let us know if you managed to import the tapes?

Do you need further assistance? 

Thanks to each and every one for your support any how my issue is not resolved and  i am still troubleshooting, any how i got the idea i will try it resolve the issue. so going to closed this post. 

Marianne

@mrauf 

Hopefully you have moved the tapes from the Scratch pool into another pool that is not used for backups.

If you have not done that and the tapes were left in the library, chances are that the tapes are already overwritten by new backups. 

@Marianne 

yeah i moved the tapes from Scratch pool to another pool and started importing the images and now i can see the images on tape drive,i am dam sure i will get succefull result soon. 

once again thanks to all of you guys @Marianne @Amol_Nair @Genericus @mph999 @davidmoline .