Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix the following error?

Enoch_Chum
Level 4
Whenever I do a restore I get the following error message:

06/13/2007 17:20:07 - restoring from image abc_1181701509
06/13/2007 17:23:06 - Error bpbrm (pid=5768) bpcd on <master> exited with status 21: socket open failed
06/13/2007 17:23:12 - Error bpbrm (pid=5768) cannot put rename file on <destination host>
06/13/2007 17:23:23 - Error bpbrm (pid=5768) client restore EXIT STATUS 21: socket open failed

However, any backups of the client are successful though. How should I go about troubleshooting this error?

Thanks in advance,
Enoch
7 REPLIES 7

Casey_King
Level 6
Is the server you are trying to restore to in a cluster?  If so, maybe the data you think is on the cluster is actually there at the time:

Example: 

Servers in a cluster: N1, N2, N3, N4
data on the cluster: data1, data2, data3, data4

Normal setup on the cluster

With that said, you did a backup and it worked.  Now you need to restore file.x

when you open your admin console to choose "source client/policy time and the destination clients"

you may be thinking the file.x "when backed up" was on \\n1\data1\file.x which it was, but, data1, which contains file.x may not be on n1, but in fact may be on n3.

so for the destination client you need to choose n3

you can verify that through whatever means you have, but from the message I see, that you cannot restore to the destination server, this is what I assume.

Hope this helps...if not, my bad

Enoch_Chum
Level 4
It is not a cluster. But it appears that any restore I do now always generates that error.

Casey_King
Level 6
Just curious, did you do any MP upgrades lately?  what is your environment?  might want to set verbose logging and post some of the log for us to see.

Enoch_Chum
Level 4
I'm currently using Netbackup 6.0 MP3 on the master server. I haven't upgraded MPs lately though. I also noticed that windows admin console no longer works. I tend to think perhaps maybe a DNS issue..

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
What kind of OS client is running? Does it match to policy type set for backup/restore?

e.g. if host is Windows based, policy type should be WindowsNT and same type should be used during restore.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
If you have a firewall u have to check those settings, remember that sometimes the ports are opent to be able to go out but not to go in.

Maybe this can help

calculus
Level 4
 Do you have the No.restriction file on the \db\altname on the master in case you are redirecting a restore as well as can we have the excerpts from the bpcd logs " master " and the tar logs " client " .