cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view the Service Account Being Used for NBU

SBMTMiller
Level 4

We are having an issue which might be related to the service account NBU is using for backups and restores. How do I find out what the service account is that NBU is using? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
If your OS is linux run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -x and look at the first field. Should be root. If Windows open up services (services.msc) Find the Symantec Netbackup sevices and go to the logon tab bpcd (client daemon) is the process responsible for launching bpbrm (backup/restore manager on a media server) and bpbkar (on a client) so look for that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
If your OS is linux run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -x and look at the first field. Should be root. If Windows open up services (services.msc) Find the Symantec Netbackup sevices and go to the logon tab bpcd (client daemon) is the process responsible for launching bpbrm (backup/restore manager on a media server) and bpbkar (on a client) so look for that.

SBMTMiller
Level 4

I guess im confused how the NBU client and the NBU appliance talk to each other. We have a linux OS, but with linux it does not use a service account to backup / restore computers? If it was windows, then it would use a service account?  

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
On Windows client the NBU Client service is performing file-level backup to the media server. The default logon account is LocalSystem. Maybe start a new discussion and tell us what exactly the problem is? Error message? Failed backup status code?

SBMTMiller
Level 4

I was actually having issues on restoring a VM and started to question the account NBU is using. I was getting a 2820 status error:

12/03/2015 16:00:34 - Error bptm (pid=17461) cannot write data to socket, Connection reset by peer
12/03/2015 16:00:34 - Info tar (pid=17438) done. status: 14
12/03/2015 16:00:34 - Info bptm (pid=17452) EXITING with status 24 <----------
12/03/2015 16:00:34 - Info tar (pid=17438) done. status: 24: socket write failed
12/03/2015 16:00:34 - Error bpbrm (pid=17409) client restore EXIT STATUS 24: socket write failed

I was thinking the account NBU uses did not have the proper permissions to restore to the VM enviroment. However at the last moment I read a forum post that suggested to remove the: "Use san to move the virtual disk data" option from the restore options. After I did that the restore worked.  

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It always helps when you share what the actual issue is.....

Thanks for the feedback.