cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you pause a backup job while it is still running?

MariusD
Level 6
I want to pause a backup job while it is still running. I have a client with 26 TB date. I start a backup for this client, but I think the backup take long time (1 Week-2Week).
I need to put this job to pause. How can I do this thing?

Master - Windows 2003/64bit with NBU 6.5.3.1

Regards,
Marius Demeter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Any changes you make will only affect any subsequent jobs not those that are currently running.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with either letting the job run to completion or stopping it & starting again from the beginning.

Is there no way you can break down this 26Tb into more manageable 'chunks' & multi-stream or multiplex so that it can be finished in a more timely manner? Up to 2 weeks for a backup is extreme to say the least!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified
In the policy properties for that client select the Take checkpoints every option.
Set this to -lets say - 30 mins.
So once You do this You will be able to suspend this job and resume later on,
Here under quotation from Admin guide vol 1 for windows:
Checkpoint restart for backup jobs
The Take checkpoints every check box specifies whether NetBackup takes checkpoints during a backup job. Indicate how often the policy should take checkpoints.
Checkpoints during a backup are beneficial if a backup fails. Without Take checkpoints every enabled, a failed backup restarts from the beginning of the job. By taking checkpoints periodically during the backup, NetBackup can retry a failed backup from the beginning of the last checkpoint rather than restart the entire job. Note that checkpoints cannot occur while a file is backed up. Checkpoints are saved at file boundaries, and point to the next file in the list.
The Schedule backup attempts Global Attributes host property indicates the number of times that NetBackup tries a failed backup. (See “Schedule backup attempts” on page 431.)
Policy types MS-Windows-NT (for Windows clients) and Standard (for UNIX clients) support this policy attribute. To see if this feature is supported for a specific agent or option, refer to the manual for that agent or option.
Note: Although NetWare clients can use the Standard policy type, checkpoint restart for backups is not supported on NetWare clients.
Checkpoint frequency
The checkpoint frequency indicates how often NetBackup takes a checkpoint during a backup. (Default: 15 minutes.) The administrator determines checkpoint frequency on a policy-by-policy basis. Balance more frequent checkpoints with the likelihood of time that is lost when a backup is resumed. If the frequency of checkpoints impacts performance, increase the time between checkpoints.
Checkpoint restart support
■ Multiple Copies: Checkpoint restart is supported for the policies that are configured to create multiple backup copies. (See “Multiple copies” on page 137.) The last failed copy that contains a checkpoint can be resumed if the following items are true:

A copy is configured to allow other copies to continue the job if the copy fails and subsequent checkpoints occur, and

Take checkpoints every is selected for this policy.

Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP): Checkpoint restart is supported for use with VSP. (See “VSP (Volume Snapshot Provider) properties” on page 486.)

Snapshot Client: Checkpoint restart is supported for use with local or alternate client backups. However, other methods are not supported: Block Level Incremental Backups, Media Server Copy, Third-Party Copy Device, and Instant Recovery backups.

Disk staging storage units (used in basic disk staging): Checkpoint restart is supported for use in Stage I of basic disk staging, during which data is backed up to disk. Checkpoint restart is unavailable in the Stage II storage unit policy of basic disk staging, during which data is relocated to another storage unit. For more information, see “Staging backups to initial storage, then final storage” on page 238.

On Windows clients:

System State backups: No checkpoints are taken during the backup of a System State.

Windows Disk-Image (raw) backups: No checkpoints are taken during a Windows disk-image backup.

Single-instance Store (SIS): No checkpoints are taken for the remainder of the backup after NetBackup encounters single-instance store.
When an incremental backup is resumed and completes successfully, the archive bits are cleared for the files that were backed up after the job resumed. However, the archive bits are not cleared for the files that were backed up before the resume. Since the archive bits remain, the files that were backed up before the resume are backed up again during the next incremental backup.

Synthetic backups: Checkpoint restart is not supported for use with synthetic backups in the current NetBackup release.

Checkpoints are not taken for a user archive schedule. If the user archive is resumed, it restarts from the beginning.

NetBackup decides when a new job should be started instead of resuming an incomplete job. NetBackup starts a new job in the following situations:

If a new job is due to run.

If the time since the last incomplete backup has been longer than the shortest frequency in any schedule for the policy.

If the time indicated by the Clean-up property, Move backup job from incomplete state to done state, has passed.

For calendar scheduling, if another run day has arrived.

MariusD
Level 6
but how the job it is started ...what can I do now??

MariusD
Level 6
Can I modify the policy properties now, in time that job run??

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Any changes you make will only affect any subsequent jobs not those that are currently running.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with either letting the job run to completion or stopping it & starting again from the beginning.

Is there no way you can break down this 26Tb into more manageable 'chunks' & multi-stream or multiplex so that it can be finished in a more timely manner? Up to 2 weeks for a backup is extreme to say the least!

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
What's the client?  Any chance it is UNIX?

It would be a hack, but you could pause the unix client.  As long as you didn't leave it stopped too long so that the master times out, it would reduce the load on the client and you could do other work.

I don't know a similar trick if this is running on windows.
--
Darren