cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you restore a production server on a DR server with different name?

Marco_Castelvec
Level 2
Simple question really, I'm just trying to restore our production master server to our DR master server (different name), how do I do it?

I do a cold catalog backup to a hard disk at our DR site (the header and image files). However, when I try "bprecover -r -dpath "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\cold catalog pathname", it goes through without error, asking me various yes or no questions, but nothing changes on the DR server?

Am I missing something?
10 REPLIES 10

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

Once i did this in a Different way (Simple One)

Suppose my production server and Disaster Server details were like
Production Master Details:
Hostname : PROMASTER
IP Address : 192.168.100.25
Disaster Master Details
Hostname :DISMASTER
IP Address : 192.168.100.52

1) Copied the three Catalog folder to the correct locations from production master to disaster master.
2) Went to \System32\Drivers\etc folder and modified my hosts file to loop requests for PROMASTER to DISMASTER
i.e. added this entery to Hosts file
192.168.100.52 PROMASTER

and it worked.

Marco_Castelvec
Level 2
I tried the lmhosts and that was enough to fool netbackup to run the bprecover onto the DR server. I'm now having various errors, which are probably related to the Veritas database getting confused about the servername difference.

Why is this so complicated? All I want to do is setup a DR server and do a hot\cold\any catalog restore, so when a disaster happens all I need are the tapes from offsite.

If I'm correct, the only way to do a veritas catalog recovery is to build a recovery server from scratch using the exact same server name??? This will take time, surely there is another way to do this?

T_N
Level 6
I don't think to change host name is good idea because when you change 192.168.100.52 PROMASTER, on dns will have 1 host name with 2 diff IP address, best way : you need to unplugg the network cable on DR server (it'll be stand alone server), you bprecover on it, good luck

zippy
Level 6
Marco,

Move all the data to the new server and just add this line into the bp.conf file

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldservername newservername

jd

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
James,
Wouldn't that only work on a UNIX based server? Is there some other modifcation to make for a Windows Master Server?

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
I'm pretty sure the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER will work on both Windows and Unix.

Stumpr2
Level 6
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER will work on Windows.
difference is that you enter it via the GUI or via a regedit

Patrick_Dickey
Level 3
I understand the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER on the master server itself. Does this need to be set on the client? (if so, where?)

And I'm probably just a num-nuts for this, but how do you change the master server on a windows client?

DavidParker
Level 6
Patrick,
1. The setting discussed is only required on the Master server.
2. There are a couple of ways to do this. Easiest is from the master server: Go into the Host Properties section, Clients sub-section. Double click on the appropriate client. Go to the Servers screen on the Host Properties window. Select an assigned server and click the 'Make Master' button.

$0.02

Patrick_Dickey
Level 3
Ah great.
I looked right past that button (must be monday...)

Thanks a bunch David!

Patrick