cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much Space needed for MSDP deduplication database

tollboy
Level 4

Hello,

We are creating MSDP deduplication pool of 16TB. Backened storage is hosted on Raid 6. I have read it in admin guide that it is recommended to have the deduplication pool in different volume possibly on faster raid group like Raid 10.

But I am not able to find out what should be the size of that different volume? Please let us know if we have some time of mapping table that for this much storage we need this much of databse space. We need to carve out that much big LUN from the storage and assign it to the media server.

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

See below

About MSDP storage capacity
The maximum deduplication storage capacity is 64 TBs. NetBackup reserves 4
percent of the storage space for the deduplication database and transaction logs.
Therefore, a storage full condition is triggered at a 96 percent threshold.

View solution in original post

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello Tollboy,

the above 240GB was from applinace that is in 7.6.1.1

since you said you are using 7.6.0.3, i have verified one of my windows media server with 7.6.0.4 which is having the 55 TB MSDP space..and 77% utilization. and it occupy the 690 GB as database..( and it is not dedicated storage space)

<<EDIT>>

have also verified another media server with 55 TB MSDP and 44 % utilization and occupied 280 GB for databases.

another one iwth 55 TB MSDP space with 55% utilization and occupied only 59 GB.

i have not drill down the inside directories there may be some backup copies since they were upgraded from previous versions..

so 250 is good to go for 16 TB, however see below

<<EDIT END>>

there is a lot of changed in MSDP from 7.6.0.X to 7.6.1, that could be the one of the reasons for this change..

also since you are planing for 16 TB storage space.. having dedicated storage space is not required... ..

see the below extrace from dedup guide for 7.6, it is recommended to to go with dedicated space only with the storage media space is more than 32 TB...

Disk, with the following minimum requirements per individual data stream (read or write):
Up to 32 TBs of storage:
■ 130 MB/sec.
■ 200 MB/sec for enterprise-level performance.

■ 32 to 48 TBs of storage:
200 MB/sec.
Symantec recommends that you store the data and the deduplication database on separate
disk, each with 200 MB/sec read or write speed.
48 to 64 TBs of storage:
250 MB/sec.
Symantec recommends that you store the data and the deduplication database on separate
disk, each with 250 MB/sec read or write speed.
These are minimum requirements for single stream read or write performance. Greater individual
data stream capability or aggregate capability may be required to satisfy your objectives for writing
to and reading from disk.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

See below

About MSDP storage capacity
The maximum deduplication storage capacity is 64 TBs. NetBackup reserves 4
percent of the storage space for the deduplication database and transaction logs.
Therefore, a storage full condition is triggered at a 96 percent threshold.

Pankaj_Pal
Level 2

deleted!

RamNagalla

we have recently upgraded our appliace to 7.6.1.1 and it created seperate FS for MSDP database.

the FS size is 240 G, and our MSDP size is 68TB in appliance.

since you are creating the 16TB, hopefaully 240 GB should be more than enough.

and do remember, you can not use all 16 TB to write the backups, it will reserver 4% will not allow you to write anything.. so please plan your storage capacity well before..

and MSDP will give the better perfromance with the usage is less than 80%

tollboy
Level 4

Hello Ram,

Thanks for the suggestion. You mean even if we create a seprate partition for database, still going to reserve 4% that is nearly 650 GB storage for itself?

About the space requirement for DB, should I go ahead ask out storgae admin to give 240 GB LUN? We can't extend it afterwards as there is no volume manager installed on the media sever. I just want to be double sure of it.

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, you can always extend it if required. I'm sure linux can extend a volume and FS. But if it can't buy SFHA :)

RamNagalla

what is the version of netbackup you are installing? is it 7.6.1.1?

yes it will reserver 4% even though you have another FS for database.... so you can not write after 96% of the MSDP space.

and for Database FS, i would say go ahead and proceed..

i have verified few of my MSDP database size and nothing is more than 50GB, ,,, so 240 or 250 GB would be good enough..

if possible keep an option to extend the FS,just in worst case senario

tollboy
Level 4

Ram,

We are 7.6.0.3. Media server is a windows host. It has got no facility for expanding the existing volume. I will go ahead with 250 GB database size.

All,

Thanks for the inputs.

RamNagalla

Hello Tollboy,

the above 240GB was from applinace that is in 7.6.1.1

since you said you are using 7.6.0.3, i have verified one of my windows media server with 7.6.0.4 which is having the 55 TB MSDP space..and 77% utilization. and it occupy the 690 GB as database..( and it is not dedicated storage space)

<<EDIT>>

have also verified another media server with 55 TB MSDP and 44 % utilization and occupied 280 GB for databases.

another one iwth 55 TB MSDP space with 55% utilization and occupied only 59 GB.

i have not drill down the inside directories there may be some backup copies since they were upgraded from previous versions..

so 250 is good to go for 16 TB, however see below

<<EDIT END>>

there is a lot of changed in MSDP from 7.6.0.X to 7.6.1, that could be the one of the reasons for this change..

also since you are planing for 16 TB storage space.. having dedicated storage space is not required... ..

see the below extrace from dedup guide for 7.6, it is recommended to to go with dedicated space only with the storage media space is more than 32 TB...

Disk, with the following minimum requirements per individual data stream (read or write):
Up to 32 TBs of storage:
■ 130 MB/sec.
■ 200 MB/sec for enterprise-level performance.

■ 32 to 48 TBs of storage:
200 MB/sec.
disk, each with 200 MB/sec read or write speed.
48 to 64 TBs of storage:
250 MB/sec.
disk, each with 250 MB/sec read or write speed.
These are minimum requirements for single stream read or write performance. Greater individual
data stream capability or aggregate capability may be required to satisfy your objectives for writing
to and reading from disk.