Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How properly move clients from one NetBackup domain to another

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello experts,

I have 2 NetBackup domains. They are as following:

Master1 and Media1 (NBU 7.7.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1), Media1 is connected to DataDomain box/path1.

Master2 which is also the media server (NBU 7.7.1, Windows Server 2012 R2) is connected to same DataDomain box/path2. No tape.

I want to move the clients from Master2/Media2 to Master1/Media1 with Master1 being able to restore their backup data if needed.

What I'm thinking is following the below:

1- Go to Master1 and create a new storage server and specify path2 with Media1.

2- Import backup images to catalog of Master1.

3- Go to each client (5-6 in total), open regedit > HKLM > Software > Veritas > NetBackup > Current Version > Config and change the values in "Server" multistring to Master1/Media1. Restart NBU services on clients.

4- Create backup policies for those clients and test backups.

Is the above procedure correct? Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day :)

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

IMO, I don't think this step is a good idea...

1) Go to Master1 and create a new storage server and specify path2 with Media1.

2) Import backup images to catalog of Master1.

...because suddenly two different master servers will both think that they are managing the content - I can only imagine that bad things will happen.

IMO, I would flip the clients from master2 to master1 (but leave the old master2 in the client's server list) and create policies on master1 - this way backups will occur via master1, but any old backup data (until it expires from master2) can still be push restored from master2 if need be.

Hello sdo and thank you for your reply.

You said: "but leave the old master2 in the client's server list". You mean after changing the registry value to the new Master1/Media1, add the Master2 again in the client's Host Properties as "additional server"?

Or how?

Thanks in advance and have a pleasant day:D

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, for the clients that are migrating, change the server list from :

master2
media2

...to instead be :

master1
media1
master2
media2

...and create new backup policies on master1, and disable the old backup policies on master2...

...because this way, the new backups will run via master1, but, because master2 and media2 are still in the "server" list of the clients, this means that any old restores can still be pushed from master2/media2 to the clients.

Alright great. Thanks sdo for your replies. Very much appreciated! :D :D