Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How restore SQL database to different server in cluste HA

Npalma
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,
how the configuration is done to solve a database in a different SQL windows 2016 server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Npalma 

The Client name that you specify for restore needs to match the Client name in the policy EXACTLY.
All of this is explained very well in the manual.

Before you try to run the restore, please check if you can list SQL backups from the destination client using bplist command :

install_path\NetBackup\bin\bplist -C client -t 15 -R \

Also - the 'altnames' file should be No.Restrictions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne

Please try the NBU for SQL manual: 

Redirecting a SQL Server database to a different host

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/17221771-126559330-0/id-SF930858063-126559330

There are also a number of related forum posts - see the links on the right under 'Related discussions' 

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

the question is a bit vague. Describe type+configuration of the cluster and what do you want to achieve.

Michal

Mike_Gavrilov

Here is another example of redirected restore via move script

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100018137.html

Npalma
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for answering, apply the indicated but I have an error. I have a VIP ip between two SQL Server servers in HA cluster. I create a policy of protect instances for virutal IP and makes the backup. The problem is presented to restore mindicates the following error:

"no backup sql server object were found for client in the specified timeframe"

I have created the file "/usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictio" on my master server to allow recovery from any hosts.

Marianne

@Npalma 

The Client name that you specify for restore needs to match the Client name in the policy EXACTLY.
All of this is explained very well in the manual.

Before you try to run the restore, please check if you can list SQL backups from the destination client using bplist command :

install_path\NetBackup\bin\bplist -C client -t 15 -R \

Also - the 'altnames' file should be No.Restrictions.

Npalma
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello @Marianne ,
Apply the indicated command obtaining status 277, which is not found. This output is from the master host of the msql cluster.

netbackup1.png

In the policy it points to the virtual IP and not the host, the command consults the virtual ip from the host.

Marianne

@Npalma 

Do you have an IP address as Client name in the policy?
Can you also confirm that you see IP address in Activity Monitor for the SQL backup?

If so, then you need to use the IP address in Client name for bplist and for source client name for restore. 

You can verify the client name by checking images folder on the master server - there will be a folder name that matches the client name that was used for backups. 
If you used IP address for backups, then you will see matching folder name. Using the hostname that is resolved by the IP address won't work. 
At this point, NBU does not perform any hostname lookup. It simply checks for SQL images in the folder name that you specified as Client name. 

Npalma
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello @Marianne  

The policy is with the agent's name is not IP. The backup is done with instances to the VIP name .

image.pngThe instance is activity:

image.png

The backup points to the VIP name and name agent.
image.png

In the agent, at the time of restoration, it indicates the following:image.png

This message is the same for vip name and agent name.

Thank you very much for the help.

Marianne

@Npalma 

I do not understand why you mark Solution when you are still having a problem. 

We need to see what you see. The hostnames are crucial here, so, blanking out all relevant info does not help at all.

Please log a Support call with Veritas, as you will be able to share unedited screenshots and logs.

Please ensure that bprd log folder exists on the master server.
Veritas Support will request level 5 bprd log.
If you need to create the folder, remember to restart NBU after folder creation and increasing log level.
PLEASE remember to keep an eye on disk space after increasing log level. 

My advice: 
Set up log folder and logging level for bprd. 
Recreate the issue and take screenshots. 
Look for yourself in bprd log to ensure that you can see the browse/restore request. 
Copy bprd log to bprd.txt. 
Set logging level to 0 again and restart NBU.