cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Backing up AIX volumen on a master server Windows

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to deploy a particular solution, i have a master server Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have some servers which have the storage presented from a SAN, these servers have other operating system, i mean Linux red hat, AIX, etc. ( These Luns are presented by Fiber channel)

I would like to present also these Luns to the master server (Windows) and then backup the information but the problem is, these luns have others format and i cannot to initializate them on Windows.

I have to present them on the Master server because i need to backup the information by Fiber Channel.

Anyone could please help me?

Thanks and regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Backup Exec client? No. There is no Backup Exec software for AIX. NetBackup Media server software includes NetBackup Client software. If these servers are installed with Media server software and connected to SAN attached storage devices (tape and/or disk), they can back themselves up to these devices via SAN. Media servers still need network (LAN ) connectivity to master server for configuration, job and resource allocation and meta data (catalog) updates.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Marianne
Level 6
No, this is not possible. You can only backup over the network as Standard Policy with AIX client in the Clients tab and the mount point as seen on the client in Backup Selection. There is an option called SAN Client, but only works with Linux or Solaris SPARC media servers with certain QLogic hba's. Not supported on Windows media server.

RiaanBadenhorst

TOOOOTALLY impossible. Windows cannot , and does not understand the file systems that are configured on yourt those luns.

You need to install a client on your linux/aix servers and then back them up to a media server (which could be the master server too) across the LAN (Backup over SAN to Windows Media server is not supported).

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi Marianne and Riaan,

Thanks a lot for your response. I was wondering what happend if my media server is the same server client for example Red Hat Linux? Is this going to work? (assuming my master server is the Windows)

I am not a really expert using this product so i am just asking to confirm.

Thanks again

Regards

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, that would work.  The media server is than also the client, so it 'backs itself up'.

Normally, a media server would be responsible for backing up multiple clients.  If it only backs up itself (so just one client) it's known as a 'SAN' media sever - Marianne or one of the others will be more familiar with the licensing for this, but it has a different license than a 'normal' media server which restricts it to just backuping up itself (I think).

If it has SAN attached tape, then this does what you want, backs up the data across the SAN to storage.

Marianne
Level 6
Yes. You can configure large clients as SAN Media server with tape drives in a shared configuration. NBU licensing needed : Enterprise Client Library based tape drives (same lic as on the master ) Shared Storage Option. If you have Capacity license, then all features and options are included - no additional licensing needed.

Marianne
Level 6
Getting back to this statement in your opening post : "I would like to present also these Luns to the master server (Windows) and then backup the information..." You cannot do this with a Windows client either. You cannot mount/map the same NTFS filesystem on 2 servers simultaneously. Here you will look at Snapshot Client option where you will have a snap mirror volume on the client. The snapped mirror copy is presented to the Windows master/media server for offhost backup.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

additional to the CANNOTs of Marianne: It is dangerous to map a LUN in foreign format. A initialisation of the Disks by Windows will destroy your AIX-vg or whatever you have on the LUNs

aor_manuel
Level 4

Thanks everyone, i am going to do some tests and then i will let you know.

Regards.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Thanks a lot Marianne, i am gonna try this.

Regards.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Couldn't agree more.

To multi-present a LUN to multiple different hosts which do not have 'cluster aware' LUN management is not a standard activity.

It is quite odd to present LUNs across different OS types.  Only in very special circumstances, and with great care, can this be done.  (e.g. sharing LUNs between ESXi and very specific OS variants of a NetBackup VMware Backup Host (i.e. a NetBackup Enterprise Client, or a NetBackup Media Server)).

And, most semi-advanced storage arrays usually require special modes to be set on the outward facing storage array 'port groups' or 'host storage groups'.  And so usually a LUN which is to multi-presented would be presented out of two different host storage groups, each which specific settings, via different SAN switch FC zones, i.e. one would not normally mix server OS types in the same zones.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi,

I have another doubt, i have my servers connected to the Master Server by Fiber Channel but i still not connect them by LAN Network (UTP), the question is --> Do i have to connect all servers by LAN Network? or is there any option for the communication between the servers to Master server only by Fiber Channel?

Thanks a lot for your help

Marianne
Level 6
As per my post of 1 Feb: "There is an option called SAN Client, but only works with Linux or Solaris SPARC media servers with certain QLogic hba's. Not supported on Windows media server." You can only backup Unix cliens to Windows master/media server via LAN. The only other option is to install media server software and config them as SAN Media servers. You need Enterprise Client license for each server that you want to config like this.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

This is my environment:

Master server --> Windows Server 2012 R2 Std

Clients

Linux --> They are media servers and also have installed backup exec client

AIX -->  They are media servers and also have installed backup exec client

For this case they are clients and also media server, do they have to be connected by LAN? or just using FC is enough?

I am not sure if i need a LAN connection for this particular case.

Thanks again

Marianne
Level 6
Backup Exec client? No. There is no Backup Exec software for AIX. NetBackup Media server software includes NetBackup Client software. If these servers are installed with Media server software and connected to SAN attached storage devices (tape and/or disk), they can back themselves up to these devices via SAN. Media servers still need network (LAN ) connectivity to master server for configuration, job and resource allocation and meta data (catalog) updates.

Marianne
Level 6

If you want to configure these clients as SAN Media Servers, have a look at this post:

How To Configure SAN Media Server 

aor_manuel
Level 4

Thanks a lot Marianne, i was looking this information.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I have followed your advice --> If these servers are installed with Media server software and connected to SAN attached storage devices (tape and/or disk), they can back themselves up to these devices via SAN.

But  i have a doubt, how can i confirm if all jobs backups are going via SAN? when i check the jobs i see --> Transport Type: LAN.

Thanks and regards.

Marianne
Level 6
Look in Activity Monitor at the Media server column. If this is the same as the client name, then backup is going over SAN. Monitoring FC switch should confirm.