cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create Storage Unit For Network Drive?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dear 

NB; 7.5.0.3

os win 2008

i want SQL Server (nb 7.5.0.3) (192.168.1.200) backup on Disk (disk is located on another server on network path)

Master server  (192.168.1.10)

Shared Path made on 192.168.1.253 (adsvr)( NB 7.5 cLIENT Installed on it)

on master server there is storage unit on network location as shown below 

Question is that i want to made storage unit on Network location ,

when i made browse on path name to directory , Network locations are not shown in it

and when i wrote manually the network location as \\adsvr\backup  or Y:backup ,it fails to accept 

Kindly help me ? how i will add network location on storage unit ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In addition to NetBackup Client Serivice, you need to change credentials of "NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service". Make sure that the user of these service must have an valid access for that CIFS share.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34525

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why do you need to create it?

Instead go for Media server on SQL host where you have Disk. Create local STU and configure backup

UNC based !!! i suspect it is supported (Doesn't sound logically true against SAN and media server)

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Customer donot want with MEDIA Server , as for Media server customer not want to purchase another license

so i need to have storage with network location

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make them understand it is not possible. Atleast without Media Server

If you have FT media server , and compatible HBA cards, you can turn SQL client into SAN client which would help you in offhosting backup era

SAN connectivity is required

No additional license are required if you have Enterprise Client license. pls check

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure why you started a new discussion - same question was answered in this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-map-network-drive-sql-backups

Your network drive is using IP address in the screenshot, not hostname?
What happens if you do start, Run, \\adsvr\backup from OS?
Network drive must be UNC path, not mapped drive.
NBU Client service must also be started a a domain user with full access to network drive.

Please also clarify what "it fails to accept " means? 

Please show us screen shots of steps to add STU and message you see afterwards?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In addition to NetBackup Client Serivice, you need to change credentials of "NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service". Make sure that the user of these service must have an valid access for that CIFS share.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34525

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Yasuhisa

We give administrative credentials to "NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service" and the job successfully started 

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sorry i was on vacation 

i made new discussion because i want storage unit with Network Location 

when i made new storage unot and give the UNC  Path it gives following error (shown in screen shot).plz resolve this

Error Reading Volume Information, STS API failed Status 2060017 ,system call failed

Plz note that i also give path as Y:\backup ,still giving same error

and also i tested with this storage unit (SQL_STU) (with \\adsvr\backup path) with administrative privileges with full rights and ran in policy to took backup but it gives error Disk server is down, and it is beacuse storage unit successfully not mapped.

as i am working on production side of customer