Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Verify netbackup version from catalog backup on tape

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Team,

I am in the process to recover catalog backup on tape and the NBU environment doesn't exist. I tried to read the contents on tape and was able to extract the TAR file and also imported the DR file for catalog recovery.

I can see netbackup version in below path

1)  /usr/openv/netbackup/db

the DB version file for 6.5, 7.1.0.4 and 7.5.0.0

2)   /usr/openv/var/global

directories for 6.5, 7.1.0.0, 7.1.0.4

Looking at /usr/openv/netbackup/db

I thought that the latest version would be 7.5, and tried the recovery, the images files were restored but the database restore failed, I am attaching the log file.

I tried to extract the staging folder from tape by reading the TAR file and copied the staging folder on /usr/openv/db/staging and performed the manual recovery, it gets completed but then nbemm doesn't come up, although nbdb_admin -validate completes with no errors.

I am not sure how to check the exact Netbackup version from catalog backup stored on tape, I checked the .f files and _FULL files but didn't find the nbu version.

Appreciating your help to find a way to check the netbackup version from catalog backup.

Regards,

Priyeranjan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Priyeranjan 

Okay - if you look at the reload.sql file, in the create table section, you will notice that the NetBackupVersion, is the 14th field (also, the machine NBUtype is field 8). 

From the screenshot, the second line shows the master server (NBU type 3) "blackops.playstation.sony.com" with the version showing as 750600 or 7.5.0.6

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I saw your question and I find it intriguing, so I do a small search.

First of all the DB version file under netbackup/db does not reveal the netbackup version. It may be 7.5 but ict can be higher.

My version is 10.0.0.1 (and windows 2016) and what I found nay not work with your version.

The only file in the catalog that in my installation reveal the netbackup version is the config_parameters file under netbackup\temp folder.
Just search your catalog backup and if present, restore this file.

KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS = 240
KEEP_JOBS_HOURS = 240
EXCHANGE_ENABLE_SIS = NO
VERSIONINFO = "Windows2016" "10" "win_x64" "NetBackup" "10.0" 1000000
RESUME_ORIG_DUP_ON_OPT_DUP_FAIL = YES
USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED
EMMSERVER = ptclnbu01.performance.gr
EMMPORT = 1556
VXDBMS_NB_DATA = D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
To be able to start the database the server would need to be configured to use the same name as the master when it was backed up.

If you managed to restore the staging folder check you the server is configured with the same name as shown in the vxdbms.conf file ( but without the leading NB_)

If you installed nbu with a different name you will not be able to do the recovery.

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I was able to verify the master server name from dr file imported from tape and the bp.conf

The master is set with same name as you can see in the logs.

I didn’t see the temp folder, not sure what else will help

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited
**** reading the bp.conf

Hi @Priyeranjan 

If you are able to validate the database, then you may also be able to unload it. Try this command (specifying a destination directory - in this case /tmp/db - it needs to exist first):

/usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_unload -staging /tmp/db -t EMM_Machine

The EMM_Machine table will contain the master server (most likely the second entry of the master name, the first being the "server" entry) and will include the version number - the reload.sql file will tell you which field precisely, but it might be the 14th. The string shown will need to be "converted" as there will be no dots shown - for instance on my NetBackup 10.0.0.1 lab, the version is shown as 1000100.

Cheers
David

To clarify - the staging option above will read the database from the staging directory (/usr/openv/db/staging) rather than the "normal" location. And the database doesn't need to be up to run the command.

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks, David, I'll do that and update you.

Can you please clarify this for me (The EMM_Machine table will contain the master server (most likely the second entry of the master name, the first being the "server" entry) and will include the version number)  - Will it show the version entry for current nbu binaries which is 7.5 or the old one?  

I've installed nbu 7.5 and the recovering the catalog.

Hi @Priyeranjan 

The EMM_Machine table will show what is configured in the database that it is being unloaded from. It is the information that would be displayed when running the "nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose" command (the nbemmcmd display the information in a more readable format of course). If you run the nbemmcmd you will see (at least) a server and master entry for the master server - the master entry will contain the version number. 

David

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi David,

I was able to run the below command and got the output but am unable to validate the version. Could you please help me to find out the version in the attached files?

/usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_unload -staging /tmp/db -t EMM_Machine

Priyeranjan_0-1658332646231.png

Priyeranjan_1-1658332646279.png

Regards,

Priyeranjan

Hi @Priyeranjan 

Okay - if you look at the reload.sql file, in the create table section, you will notice that the NetBackupVersion, is the 14th field (also, the machine NBUtype is field 8). 

From the screenshot, the second line shows the master server (NBU type 3) "blackops.playstation.sony.com" with the version showing as 750600 or 7.5.0.6

Cheers
David

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you David for your support.