cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add new nbu media server to DatDomain Storage server

T_N
Level 6

Hi All,

I have 1 master & 3 media redhat linux servers, they are running on netbackup 7.7.2 .  , 3 media servers connect to Data Domain Storage server. I have new media server (7.7.2), I installed DD plug in on that new media server. I am not able to add that media server to existence Data Domain Storage Server (dd890_1).

My question is

Do I need add credential on new media server with command below:

tpconfig -add -storage_server dd890_1 -stype DataDomain -sts_user_id ddbadmin -password xxxx

What step do I need to add new media server to existence Data Domain Storage server dd890_1 ?

Thank you very much for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
for the error reported you need to create the tpcommand logs on the media server and rerun the command.. it is possible that the credentials provided are incorrect or a communication issue from the media server to the DataDomain storage or an issue with the credentials from DD side - possibly account locked out situation

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

You are correct, The credential needs to be added on a new media server.  

Thanks & Regards

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@T_N

I see the following in your post:

@T_N wrote:

I have new media server (7.7.2), I installed DD plug in on that new media server. 

Did you remember to stop/start nbrmms (NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service) on the media server?
Did you run 'bpstsinfo -pi -stype DataDomain' to confirm that the plugin is loaded?

@T_N wrote:

I am not able to add that media server to existence Data Domain Storage Server (dd890_1).

What exactly is happening (or not happening) here? 
You can run 'tpconfig -add -storage_server ......  ' on the media server or on the master server - just add -media_server <name> to the command. 

PS:
Did you go through the steps to add the new media server as a 'regular' media server on the master server? 
Have you added correct license keys on the media server? 

[root@xxxx-media9 ~]# bpstsinfo -pi -stype DataDomain
Plugin Info:
Plugin Name: libstspiDataDomainMT.so
Prefix: DataDomain:
Label: Data Domain Plugin
Build Version: 11
Build Version Minor: 1
Operating Version: 11
Vendor Version: 3.1.1.0-513706

Did you remember to stop/start nbrmms (NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service) on the media server? Do I need to stop/restart it before I run tpconfig -add -storage_server ......  ' on the media server ? Because I already stop/restart netbackup services.

[root@xxxx-master1 sid76]# nbemmcmd -listhost -verbose

NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.7.2

The following hosts were found:

xxxx-media9

ClusterName = ""

MachineName = "xxxx-media9"

FQName = "xxxx-media9"

LocalDriveSeed = ""

MachineDescription = ""

MachineFlags = 0x77

MachineNbuType = media (1)

MachineState = active for disk jobs (12)

MasterServerName = "xxxx-master_cluster"

NetBackupVersion = 7.7.2.0 (772000)

OperatingSystem = linux (16)

ScanAbility = 5

What steps to add new media server to storage server existing ?  I checked datadomain plugin, it exists but when I run tpconfig -add -storage_server pn media server, it failed

[root@xxxx-media9 ~]# tpconfig -add -storage_server xxx-dd890-1 -stype DataDomain -sts_user_id ostuser -password xxx
sts_get_server_prop_byname failed: error 2060046
plugin error
Invalid server information for type DataDomain server xxxx-dd890-1.
Authorization failed for OpenStorage server xxxx-dd890-1

Do I need to reinstall DD plugin ?

Thank you

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
nbrmms on the media server needs to be stopped at the time of installation of the plugin.

Once you have added the credentials using the tpconfig command you can execute the below command to list the credentials..

tpconfig -dsh

Executing this command on the media server would list the storage servers for which credentials have been added on that particular media server..

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
for the error reported you need to create the tpcommand logs on the media server and rerun the command.. it is possible that the credentials provided are incorrect or a communication issue from the media server to the DataDomain storage or an issue with the credentials from DD side - possibly account locked out situation

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found the issue , it is connection issue (not able to ping from new media server to DataDomain storage. I fixed it, it works well now.  thank you for suggestion.