cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Clustered Shared Volumes (CSVs) of Hyper-V in NetBackup 8.1.2?

Jess01
Level 3

Hi.

We have an SAP System running on Hyper-V. Windows 2012 R2. We want to backup the VHDs of the VMs which is on CSV using NetBackup 8.1.2. Can anyone help me to get an idea on how to do it?

Thank you.

Jess

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@Jess01 - backing-up the VHD(X) files direct from CSV is not really how you take a backup of a VM in Hyper-V - maybe you could if the VM was shutdown, but I have no idea whether that would result in a restorable/recoverable entity.  Likewise no-one backs-up VMDK direct from VMFS data-stores.

Plus you have a live, open, writeable database to deal with.

Here are some options:

1) install NetBackup Client on all Hyper-V hosts in the Hyper-V cluster - then shutdown SAP database, shutdown VM - take a NetBackup Hyper-V style (whole VM) backup of the VM (which essentially achieves what you said in your opening post) - this assumes that the SAP database lives in non-sparse files on NTFS volumes and is not abstracted in any mix of proprietary partition/volume-manager/file-system.

2) install NetBackup Client on all Hyper-V hosts in the Hyper-V cluster - then shutdown SAP database, leave VM up - take a NetBackup Hyper-V style (whole VM) backup of the VM whilst it is up and online (this is pretty much the same as option 1) - same assumptions as option 1.

3) install NetBackup Client inside the VM (i.e. no need to install NetBackup Client on any Hyper-V host) - configure NetBackup Client for SAP and take a SAP database backup - and also take a NetBackup BMR aware backup of the OS elements of the guest VM - assuming interop of NetBackup Client + NetBackup BMR Client + OS family + OS version + LUN format (GPT/MBR) + partition layout + volume manager + file-system type + file-system version + file-system size - all these elements have to be supported interop together to achieve a valid NetBackup BMR Client backup.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What database are your SAP database running on ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@Jess01 - backing-up the VHD(X) files direct from CSV is not really how you take a backup of a VM in Hyper-V - maybe you could if the VM was shutdown, but I have no idea whether that would result in a restorable/recoverable entity.  Likewise no-one backs-up VMDK direct from VMFS data-stores.

Plus you have a live, open, writeable database to deal with.

Here are some options:

1) install NetBackup Client on all Hyper-V hosts in the Hyper-V cluster - then shutdown SAP database, shutdown VM - take a NetBackup Hyper-V style (whole VM) backup of the VM (which essentially achieves what you said in your opening post) - this assumes that the SAP database lives in non-sparse files on NTFS volumes and is not abstracted in any mix of proprietary partition/volume-manager/file-system.

2) install NetBackup Client on all Hyper-V hosts in the Hyper-V cluster - then shutdown SAP database, leave VM up - take a NetBackup Hyper-V style (whole VM) backup of the VM whilst it is up and online (this is pretty much the same as option 1) - same assumptions as option 1.

3) install NetBackup Client inside the VM (i.e. no need to install NetBackup Client on any Hyper-V host) - configure NetBackup Client for SAP and take a SAP database backup - and also take a NetBackup BMR aware backup of the OS elements of the guest VM - assuming interop of NetBackup Client + NetBackup BMR Client + OS family + OS version + LUN format (GPT/MBR) + partition layout + volume manager + file-system type + file-system version + file-system size - all these elements have to be supported interop together to achieve a valid NetBackup BMR Client backup.

Hi Bro. Thank you for the response. Do we really need to shutdown the SAP Database before we can backup the VM's? 

DB2 Sir.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Jess01 wrote:

Hi Bro. Thank you for the response. Do we really need to shutdown the SAP Database before we can backup the VM's? 

No. Please read through @sdo 's 3rd option. 

The NBU for SAP agent does not support DB2, so, use the DB2 agent to perform online database backup with NBU. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

DB2 - Then you cannot use VSS to create snapshot consistent backup, it only work with MS SQL, use SDO advice.

Jess01
Level 3

Hi Everyone. 

I will do the 3rd option and will update once its done. 

Thank you for the help!