cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Multiple Instances

Limberth1
Level 3

Hello, I would appreciate your advice to configure a policie, I have  two server with multple SQL instances ,these servers are clustered with veritas cluster, the question is what is the correct way to create NBU policies for these servers, because sometimes I´d have some instances active on one server and other instances on the other server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Each Instance should be associated with a different virtual hostname, e.g.
INST1 -> VIRTHOST1
INST2 -> VIRTHOST2

Create a separate policy and script for each instance and save the script on the shared drive that belongs to the particular cluster service group.
Add the path to the script in Policy Backup Selection.

If you save the script on the shared drive for each Instance, you do not need to maintain a local copy of each script of the local drive of each cluster node.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Each Instance should be associated with a different virtual hostname, e.g.
INST1 -> VIRTHOST1
INST2 -> VIRTHOST2

Create a separate policy and script for each instance and save the script on the shared drive that belongs to the particular cluster service group.
Add the path to the script in Policy Backup Selection.

If you save the script on the shared drive for each Instance, you do not need to maintain a local copy of each script of the local drive of each cluster node.

Thank you Marianne, I think that's what  needed!!!

Hi Marianne,

I have a small doubt in the above post , would be helpful if you can clear it .

You have mentioned to create a script in shared location since it is cluster , so is it not recommended to save the SQL script in this default path always : veritas/dbext/mssql ?
Kesavan.P

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello P_Kesavan,

to have scripts on local disks increases maintenance.

Imagine your cluster can be 8-node or more..

So it is a good practise to have it once only and have it available always when approptiate virtual service is available.

Regards

Michal