cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Netapp Ex2724 San with Netbackup 6

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hi All

We have purchased a Netapp E series SAn EX2724,this can be managed only through SANtricity Stirage Manager Client.

I need to know How I can configure Netbackup software v 7 to backup the LUN that is provided by the above NetappSAN to following operating system, Solaris, VMWARE ESXi 5.0, Windows and also the oracle database and also duplicate it on the Tape Drive.

Note: As per our companys instruction we do not want to install netbackup client on the solaris operating system, We want to directly backup the LUN that is provided to Solaris operating. We have mounted that LUN on the Solaris operating system, and a script on solaris dump some data on the lun.

We will install Netbackup software on Windows server 2008.

Please let me whether Netabackup can Backup Netapp Ex2724 series SAn,

Do I Require any plugins for the same

Regards

Vivek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, you have SAN storage presented to various servers:
Solaris
ESX servers
Windows
Oracle servers (OS??)

Is my assumption right?

You will need NetBackup agent on each of those servers where the LUN is mounted and seen as 'Local' drive.
I cannot see how else you can backup Solaris data from another server or OS, especially when something like Oracle db's on those LUNs need to be backed up online.

NetBackup has agents for Oracle and VMware.
For Oracle - NBU agent must be installed on the Oracle server.
For VMware - NBU client or server software must be installed on a Windows or Linux host with VMware credentials to backup VMs.

File-level data can be backed up via Standard policy for Solaris machines and MS-Windows policy for Windows machines.

Only NetApp FAS and V series and GX series can be backed up directly from the NetApp using NDMP protocol.

PS :

Your subject says NetBackup 6 but you say NetBackup 7 in the body of your post?

NBU 6 is no longer supported.
As far as NBU 7 is concerned - the latest version is 7.6.1.2.
If memory serves me right, ESXi 5.0 is only supported with NBU 7.1.0.3 and later.

You will need to check all Compatibility Guides: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If the Solaris server is physical, then you will not be able to backup a LUN directly from the NetApp to a NetBackup host, unless the file system is dismounted on the original Solaris host and the LUN deported (SCSI lock released), and you would need another Solaris host to then lock/access/import the LUN and then mount the filesystem and then use NetBackup Client on a second Solaris host.

The the Solaris host is virtual then you should be able to use NetBackup to leverage VMware VADP backups. But NetBackup won't be able to take the Oracle database as a VM style backup.

I think you need to review the NetBackup Blueprints for VMware here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/list-netbackup-blueprints

...because your description of what you want to achieve does not actually seem to fit the way things actually work.

Based on your post, the simplest option is to install NetBackup Client within the Soalris host.

Or, if you could explain the infrastructure in more detail, and specify 'versions' of items, then there may be other options - but based on your post, which unfortunately does not have much detail, then it doesn't look like you can achieve what I assume it is that you want to achieve.

vivek_sharma
Level 3

I will explain you my complete architechture and exactly what I want.

* We have one physical Solaris Server

* A Netapp SAN Ex2724(basic SAN)

* A NetBackup 7 software  hosted on Windows server 2008

* HP Auto Loader

* The Solaris Server that host one of our company application that run on Oracle Database.

* A lun provided by SAN mounted on Solaris Server

* Now we have configured one script on the solaris server that can take the backup of the application with the Oracle Database and stores it in  on the Mounted LUN in TAR format.

* Now what we want is that the netbackup take the backup of that mounted LUN on Solaris and duplicate it on Tape without installing any netbackup agent on the solaris server.

Marianne

So, you have SAN storage presented to various servers:
Solaris
ESX servers
Windows
Oracle servers (OS??)

Is my assumption right?

You will need NetBackup agent on each of those servers where the LUN is mounted and seen as 'Local' drive.
I cannot see how else you can backup Solaris data from another server or OS, especially when something like Oracle db's on those LUNs need to be backed up online.

NetBackup has agents for Oracle and VMware.
For Oracle - NBU agent must be installed on the Oracle server.
For VMware - NBU client or server software must be installed on a Windows or Linux host with VMware credentials to backup VMs.

File-level data can be backed up via Standard policy for Solaris machines and MS-Windows policy for Windows machines.

Only NetApp FAS and V series and GX series can be backed up directly from the NetApp using NDMP protocol.

PS :

Your subject says NetBackup 6 but you say NetBackup 7 in the body of your post?

NBU 6 is no longer supported.
As far as NBU 7 is concerned - the latest version is 7.6.1.2.
If memory serves me right, ESXi 5.0 is only supported with NBU 7.1.0.3 and later.

You will need to check all Compatibility Guides: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Sorry My mistake....Its version 7.6 not 6.

That is what I was looking for.

Thank you very much

Marianne

NetApp NDMP support can be found in NetBackup Hardware Compatibility Guide.

You can find links to all Compatibility Guides in the link that I have provided above.