cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Sybase ASE with NetBackup

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to setup a Sybase ASE backup using Veritas Netbackup but I can't. Every time I run the script to backup the BD I got this error:

Error Message from /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bphdb

YOU HAVE NEW MAIL

WARNING: In order to LOAD the master database, the ASE must run in single-usermode. If the master database dump uses multiple volumes, you must execute sp_volchanged on another ASE at LOAD time in order to signal volume changes.

Backup Server: 4.172.1.4: The value of 'allocated pages threshold' has been set to 40%. Backup Server session id is: 28. Use this value when executing the 'sp_volchanged' system stored procedure after fulfilling any volume changerequest from the Backup Server. Backup Server: 4.132.1.1: Attempting to open byte stream device:

'sybackup::-SERV masterservername -CLIENT clientname -POL TEST_SYBASE -SCHED Default-Application-Backup::000'Backup Server: 4.194.2.1: Internal error. The srv_select() function was called to complete an I/O for 2240 bytes. After retrying 2241 times only 0 bytes havebeen read.Backup Server: 4.141.2.75: [0] The 'read' call failed for database/archive device while working on stripe device 'sybackup::-SERVmasterservername

Below there is some informations about this environment. Can you help me?

What we've already done:

• Ran the./sybase_config on “/usr/openv/netbackup/bin”;
    Create the a $SYBASE_HOME/bp.conf file on Sybase Home path.
    Edit bp.conf file and add the Sybase Home Path
    Edit and change the script sybase_mydb_backup according to the database parameters;

Environment

NetBackup version: 9.1.0.1
OS AIX 7.2
DB Sybase ASE version 16 SP03 PL08

Thanks in advance

Thiago

2 REPLIES 2

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

looks like a low-level issue which is better to solve with support. Maybe engage also Sybase support, not only Veritas. According to compa matrix, your OS/DB combination is supported for NetBackup.

I am not sure why the log is mentioning LOAD (restore), when you are doing DUMP (backup). But maybe its default message.

Regards

Michal

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @Michal_Mikulik1 

Hi

Yes, I have a case opened with Veritas Support and. In parallel, I will ask the customer to open a case with Sybase so that we can work together on this problem.

Thanks for the feedback