cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup mapped drive in a windows cluster

Kisad
Level 5

Hello All,

I'm attempting to backup a mapped drive in a two node windows cluster environment using Netbackup 7.5.0.6. I have read the technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204072 but  I'm still unsure how to go about it.  At the moment both cluster nodes are setup in the same backup policy with a ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES  backup selection.  We are using host files and a separate backup network. When I query the past backups images I can see the mapped  drive is getting backed up in the existing policy on one of the node .

Should I just leave the existing policy as it is since the drive is getting backed up or should I create a separate policy for the mapped drive. And if I do create a separate policy what will be the client name and how willl the master/media communicate with it as I'm using the host file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hmm, what you could do is add another 192 address to your cluster group, and then stick that in host file on the master. Your clients to the file share can connect to 10 range, and the master to the 192 range.

Assuming you've got rights to do that in the cluster.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Are you referring to a mapped network share/ CIFS share which is mounted on the cluster nodes?

Kisad
Level 5

Its a EMC LUN which is presented on both nodes. On one node I can see it in My Computer as a drive letter E: whereas on the node its not listed as a drive letter ( its in disabled state when I check in disk management).

The regular backup policy has been running for a few months now, the request to backup the mapped drive is a new one.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

If this is a MSCS cluster I've seen it has the habit of still presenting that drive to NBU on the offline node. If you use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES it then actually fails for that drive letter on the inactive node, and the active one works, but you might not be facing that issue.

Regardless of that, I would suggest making a separate policy for the shared drive and use th cluster/virtual name as the client. Then you'll always connect to which ever node is actively hosting the drive. And exclude the drive letter from the policy that is protecting the cluster nodes.

Kisad
Level 5

Thanks Riaan,

The thing is that the cluster virtual IP is a 10 series one where the two nodes that I'm backing is using 192 series and a host file. How do I get to communicate the virtual name with the master /media server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hmm, what you could do is add another 192 address to your cluster group, and then stick that in host file on the master. Your clients to the file share can connect to 10 range, and the master to the 192 range.

Assuming you've got rights to do that in the cluster.

Kisad
Level 5

Thanks Riaan. Let me check with the OS guys.