cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the name of a media server already in use.

rver01
Level 2

I have a media server with name bptnp0001ap that must be changed to bqtnp0001ap.

The two names are defined now in the DNS as alias.

I have tried find a way to do that with NBU, if possible avoiding the deletion/recreation method.

I have used this morning the nbemmcmd - addalias. Now the media server has two aliases:

nbemmcmd -machinealias -getaliases -machinename bptnp0001ap.unix.banksys.be -machinetype media

The following aliases were found for the alias: "bptnp0001ap.unix.banksys.be"

bptnp0001ap.unix.banksys.be

bqtnp0001ap.unix.banksys.be

But when I look in the database, I see only one media server with name bptnp0001ap;

If I remove this alias (to have only bqtnp0001ap, the new name) , what would happen for the media server ?

Should I use instead nbemmcmd -renamehost ? What are the precaution to take ?

Except the command themselves, I have found no real explanation of the function, effect and precaution to take?

thank you

3 REPLIES 3

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

With media server it is kinda easy....

Deactivate it. rename and decommission it - where oldserver is oldname -newserver new name... not sure if NBU SW reinstall would not be needed....

nbdecommission --
Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
[-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]

Does this change the information in the EMM database?

We've always done a reinstall to reconfigure Media servers.

But if there is a way to reconfigure without reinstallation, that would be a big help.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hey

never tested... but next time you can test - I will test too, but I do not have such opportunietes too many times...

I used to live with NBU lack of hostname change - ones set  will live it till it die ;)