cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check if client was inactive on master last week...

Genericus
   VIP   

If you go to the master server host properties, you can select clients, and deactivate them - this is awesome because, for example, you have a hardware issue, you can make the host inactive without removing it from all the policies it is in, the host never backs up, and you uncheck the box or let the date roll over when you are ready.

My question - once the client goes back active, the date resets and you cannot tell it was inactive.

I am being asked why a client did not backup in September - I think it was inactive.

How can I find out if it was skipped because it was inactive? bptm logs? policy logs? Enquiring minds want to know!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Logs I would check is firstly admin log on the master. 
All admincmd command are logged there. 

Other logs that may have this kind of info are nbpem and nbrb. 
I would look for the client name at the time that backup was supposed to run. 

IMHO, there should be some sort of communication or documentation when any kind of change is made.
Especially in a big organization where there is more than one backup admin. 

View solution in original post

nbauditreport won't really have that information.

As the bpclient command would be coming into picture when you add the client to host properties or making the client offline from the host properties on master server, it would be logged in the admin logs on the master server as mentioned by @Marianne
If I were to just add a client to the host properties and make it offline I can see the below command logged in the admin logs even at verbose level 0

---------------------

03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> bpclient: VERBOSE = 0
03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> bpclient: INITIATING: version NetBackup 8.1 created: 2017091017
03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> logparams: -M nbmaster -client nbclient1 -add -free_browse 0 -list_restore 0 -max_jobs 0 -WOFB_enabled 1 -WOFB_FIM 0 -WOFB_usage 0 -WOFB_error 0 -client_direct 0 -connect_options 2 2 3 -ut -offline_backup -online_backup_at 1570086263 -online_restore

---------------------

So if you do have admin logs on the master server probably you could simply do a recursive search for something similar.. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GeForce123
Level 5

Audit's don't show it changing from active/inactive?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Logs I would check is firstly admin log on the master. 
All admincmd command are logged there. 

Other logs that may have this kind of info are nbpem and nbrb. 
I would look for the client name at the time that backup was supposed to run. 

IMHO, there should be some sort of communication or documentation when any kind of change is made.
Especially in a big organization where there is more than one backup admin. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would give the nbauditreport command a try:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/21733320-127424841-0/v40701214-127424841

it should say when the client was set in maintenance mode - hopefully

Genericus
   VIP   

I did some checking, no luck

nbauditreport -sdate 07/01/2018 -edate 10/01/2018 -ctgy POLICY -fmt DETAIL does not show the client going into or out of maintenance mode.

I tried a couple of options, no joy.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

nbauditreport won't really have that information.

As the bpclient command would be coming into picture when you add the client to host properties or making the client offline from the host properties on master server, it would be logged in the admin logs on the master server as mentioned by @Marianne
If I were to just add a client to the host properties and make it offline I can see the below command logged in the admin logs even at verbose level 0

---------------------

03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> bpclient: VERBOSE = 0
03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> bpclient: INITIATING: version NetBackup 8.1 created: 2017091017
03:04:28.468 [26084] <2> logparams: -M nbmaster -client nbclient1 -add -free_browse 0 -list_restore 0 -max_jobs 0 -WOFB_enabled 1 -WOFB_FIM 0 -WOFB_usage 0 -WOFB_error 0 -client_direct 0 -connect_options 2 2 3 -ut -offline_backup -online_backup_at 1570086263 -online_restore

---------------------

So if you do have admin logs on the master server probably you could simply do a recursive search for something similar..