cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clear expired images from basic disk

Dharsana
Level 4

Netbackup 7.1.0.3, windows server 2008.

We have very old images in our disk which occupies space. These images are residing in E:\NBU folder but now all new images writing to E:\.

Catalog shows them as expired images. I had tried nbdelete -allvolumes -force. But nothing changed. How to clear these expired images from disk? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You shouldn't have any issues because:

i) NetBackup no longer knows about the target folder - because you changed the location/target of the DSU.

ii) The orphaned images are no longer known/referenced by the NetBackup catalog - because they no longer appear in any backup image lists/reports.

All I can say is, if you are sure about the above two points/topics then you should be ok.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Was there any errors when you ran the command nbdelete -allvolumes -force

Did you verify the admin logs whether the images were cleared?

Once you run this command NBU passes the message to OS disk to clear it and then rest is OS job to clear the space.

You can try restarting nbu services however I still think it is OS who has to clear now.

sdo

So, it would seem that the target folder for the Basic Disk DSU was changed whilst images still existed.  NetBackup will not be able to remove any orphaned images because it can no longer locate them, no matter what NetBackup command you use.  The orphaned images (which no longer exist in the "catalog") will need to be deleted by hand.

Dharsana
Level 4

nbutech,

yes command completes without error. but only these folders are not getting cleared

thanks sdo,

Does manual deletion will not lead to any other issues?

sdo

You shouldn't have any issues because:

i) NetBackup no longer knows about the target folder - because you changed the location/target of the DSU.

ii) The orphaned images are no longer known/referenced by the NetBackup catalog - because they no longer appear in any backup image lists/reports.

All I can say is, if you are sure about the above two points/topics then you should be ok.