cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to config NB to use specific NIC/IP for backup jobs?

flavor4real
Level 5
Hey guys,
       We have our switch in place and would like to have the NB traffic routed over the LocalNetworkConnection#2, ... How can I get this accomplished? The HP tech explained something about a host file (but I was not wokring here yet)....
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jesse_Hardy
Level 4
Certified
Your master or media server has a secondary NIC that you use for backups right?
What version of Windows are you running?
What version of Netbackup is on the client?
What type of Netbackup, Enterprise or what?
Do you have logging enabled if so set the verbosity to 5?
If you don't have logging enabled go to C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\logs
and create bpcd folder as well as bpbkar and bpinetd.
You will probably need to put the master media server backup network ip and name on the client host file as well if DNS is not in play.
Is DNS being used?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jesse_Hardy
Level 4
Certified

You should use the REQUIRED_INTERFACE in the bp.conf file if it's unix.  If it Windows then you have to edit the registry.

REQUIRED_INTERFACE = (whatever name you give to the secondary ip)

flavor4real
Level 5
I found out that if I go to the universal settings on media/master server and client server and where it says "Use specific Network Interface", type the name if the network interface (example: NB_Bkup), that should work.

Now, I find out that the manual way is to modify the host file? ... is this better?

Based on your post jesse, I should go to the registry....

which was is the best or correct way now? ? ?

Nitish_R
Level 4
Partner Accredited
hi
the best way is to use the required interface setting and make sure that there is an entry corresponding to that IP in your host file.
you also need to check the gateway on that interface to make sure that is not doing internal routing from one card to the other (mostly in unix)
let me know how this works.
:)

flavor4real
Level 5
Once I've input the Network Interface Name in the client/master/media then the registry setting REQUIRED_INTERFACE  changes to the Network Interface Name.....

so what's the deal with the host file that i read all the time?

flavor4real
Level 5
in on server 2003
I've setup/ input the Network Interface Name in the client/master/media then checked the registry setting REQUIRED_INTERFACE  and it has the name.

the backup job errored out with a error "NETWORK CONNETION BROKEN (40)

Jesse_Hardy
Level 4
Certified

You may need to reboot that server.  Can you ping that interface from the master.  Did you register the name that you associated with that NIC in DNS.  Netbackup uses lookup.  If not then you will have to use a host file on the master and client with that ip address and name.  From the master server try to telnet to the bpcd port.

telnet hostname bpcd
telnet name-bkup bpcd (whatever the name of that interface is)

See if it connects

flavor4real
Level 5
yes, i can ping the IP address.

bpcd port is 13724 (standard) correct?

correct me if i'm wrong:
Master Server > host file > input ip of NIC which is on that Master Server = correct?

Client Server > host file > input ip of NIC which is on the client server = correct?

Jesse_Hardy
Level 4
Certified
Your master or media server has a secondary NIC that you use for backups right?
What version of Windows are you running?
What version of Netbackup is on the client?
What type of Netbackup, Enterprise or what?
Do you have logging enabled if so set the verbosity to 5?
If you don't have logging enabled go to C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\logs
and create bpcd folder as well as bpbkar and bpinetd.
You will probably need to put the master media server backup network ip and name on the client host file as well if DNS is not in play.
Is DNS being used?

flavor4real
Level 5

..got it fixed!
i've modified the host files to go over the dedicated nic's and boy... that thing is faster than the german autobahn.. lol

thanks for the input