cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure BCV backups using Netbackup 7.5

faizykhan89
Level 3

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have started working on netbackup recently.

I need to configure Clone BCV backups using netbackup.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to create scripts when Snapshot Client is configured.
The backup policy will automate the entire process.

The key is to test the process manually to ensure all required components are in place.
Media server and client where source volumes exist should be the same NBU version.
Prior to NBU 7.0 agents and options (incl Snapshot Client) had to be installed separately.)

The 7.0 Snapshot Client Admin Guide can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127074

Chapter 1 is important as it explains how NBU snapshots work with the different snapshot technologies as well as requirements.
You will concentrate on all parts that reference 'disk array snapshot methods'.

Chapter 2 explains installation (and that the Snapshot Client binaries are included in server and client software as from NBU 7.0) and licensing requirements.

Chapter 3 explains policy creation.
Read through this chapter, but before actually configuring the policy, ensure that all components are in place and that all steps can be manually executed.

Off-host backup must be selected and media server specified as Alternate Client.
Under Advanced options you need to select the correct snapshot method.
You need to go to disk array methods on page 166.
Find the correct EMC snapshot method.

Jump to chapter 10: Configuration of snapshot methods for disk arrays
Read the information section and then
Tasks for the array administrator
and
Tasks for the NetBackup administrator

Have a look at the config diagram and ensure that array snapshot software is installed on the source client and the media server.
Go through the EMC-specific section for configuration steps.
(Ignore VSS sections for Windows).

Here is where you need to test the process manually.
Important to put Oracle dbs in backup mode before the snapshot is taken on source client.

Easiest way to test a policy is to first of all do a normal volume/filesystem backup with snapshot taken after Oracle dbs was put in backup mode.
Go back to policy section -> Configuring backup scripts
4 Add the following directive to the start of the Backup Selections list:
METHOD=USER_DEFINED
5 Add one or both of the following directive(s), as required.
DB_BEGIN_BACKUP_CMD=your_begin_script_path
DB_END_BACKUP_CMD=your_end_script_path

These scripts will be the scripts on the source client that will put the dbs in backup mode and to end backup mode.
The volume name(s) in Backup Selection following the script names must be the source volumes on the source client.

In Clients tab you specify the source client name.

Once this is working, you may want to attempt Oracle agent backup...
But lets keep this for a new discussion once you get a volume-level backup to work...

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check if the configuration you have is supported by Symantec first (important), see

NetBackup 7.x Snapshot Client Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901

Then take a look at :

NetBackup Snapshot Client 7.6 Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6459

All snapshot backup are complex, it require planing and lot of test to ensure you get it right. Put a database on top and it get really complex (serious complex).

If you are on Windows then the VSS framework does a lot of the hard work for you.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello

Take a look at http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88233

Marianne
Level 6

In addition to Riaan's excellent post, please also download the Snapshot Client Admin Guide: 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5165 

Bear in mind that you need Enterprise Client license in order to configure this kind of snapshot backup.

RiaanBadenhorst

Apologies, that must have confused you.

The links (like the one i posted) are usually the online version of the documents my esteemed colleagues referenced above. It would seem that Symantec have not updated the snapshot client guide to be online for easy review. So it doesn't take you to the information

YOu'll have to download smiley

faizykhan89
Level 3

First of all, thanks a lot for your replies. I will go rthrough these guides. I m sure, I would need to come back to you guys :D

faizykhan89
Level 3

Please provide steps on how to configure BCV backups with Netbackup ?

What are prerequisites for BCV configuration ?

Agent installation, licenses required ????

Please help ? I have gone through these guides and it looks pretty much confusing.

Master server : (NBU 7.5.0.6) Solaris 10 Sparc
Media Server : (NBU 7.0.1) Solaris 10 Sparc

EMC VNX disk arrays are hosting the Oracle databases.

Marianne
Level 6

The license you need is Advanced Client.
If you want to combine BCV snapshot client backup with Oracle agent backup, you will need Application and DB Agent license as well.

I have never configured BCV backups, but helped a customer implement a similar solution using HP array snapshot, backing up Oracle databases.
Another customer used Storage Foundation snapshots to perform off-host SQL backups. (Riaan configured this solution in the 'good old days' when we were working for the same company...)

Where are the Oracle databases in above picture?

On the media server? 
Or a separate client? Which OS and NBU version?
Will the snapshot volumes be presented to the media server for off-host backup?

Based on this info, I will try to assist.

Just one word of advice - this kind of complex config just works better when everything is on the same NBU level...
NBU 7.0.1 is very old... lots of fixes and enhancements in subsequent versions and updates... please upgrade to match the master server version.

faizykhan89
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

We are using Netbackup media server v7.0.1 as some of our Oracle databases are hosted on Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 which are not being supported by NBU 7.5.

Our Oracle databases are hosted on seperate clients with operating systems as Solaris 8 and Solaris 9.

We are not using snapshots for BCV backups and these would be Off host backups on netbackup media servers.

Please tell me if u need more info.

Thanks a lot.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

It has been a long long time since I have had part in setting up BCV for Oracle in connection with netbackup, but as I remember the highlevel steps

1) Create clone in disk array

2) Create scripts to split and sync clone

3) Test scripts to split and sync clone

4) Create policy with media server as client as we mount the clone there for backup

5) Integrate the split and sync clone scripts into bpstart_notify and bpend_notify script, this was mainly added error handling in case the file backup failed

6) Test and add needed error handling, probably needed some iterations

There was something about the oracle control files, but what exactly escapes me.

There has been a white paper on how to setup BCV for oracle with for offhost rman backup for Clariion, the forerunner to VNX. But has not been able to locate it unfortunately

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

No need to create scripts when Snapshot Client is configured.
The backup policy will automate the entire process.

The key is to test the process manually to ensure all required components are in place.
Media server and client where source volumes exist should be the same NBU version.
Prior to NBU 7.0 agents and options (incl Snapshot Client) had to be installed separately.)

The 7.0 Snapshot Client Admin Guide can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127074

Chapter 1 is important as it explains how NBU snapshots work with the different snapshot technologies as well as requirements.
You will concentrate on all parts that reference 'disk array snapshot methods'.

Chapter 2 explains installation (and that the Snapshot Client binaries are included in server and client software as from NBU 7.0) and licensing requirements.

Chapter 3 explains policy creation.
Read through this chapter, but before actually configuring the policy, ensure that all components are in place and that all steps can be manually executed.

Off-host backup must be selected and media server specified as Alternate Client.
Under Advanced options you need to select the correct snapshot method.
You need to go to disk array methods on page 166.
Find the correct EMC snapshot method.

Jump to chapter 10: Configuration of snapshot methods for disk arrays
Read the information section and then
Tasks for the array administrator
and
Tasks for the NetBackup administrator

Have a look at the config diagram and ensure that array snapshot software is installed on the source client and the media server.
(Ignore VSS sections for Windows).

Here is where you need to test the process manually.
Important to put Oracle dbs in backup mode before the snapshot is taken on source client.

Easiest way to test a policy is to first of all do a normal volume/filesystem backup with snapshot taken after Oracle dbs was put in backup mode.
Go back to policy section -> Configuring backup scripts
4 Add the following directive to the start of the Backup Selections list:
METHOD=USER_DEFINED
5 Add one or both of the following directive(s), as required.
DB_BEGIN_BACKUP_CMD=your_begin_script_path
DB_END_BACKUP_CMD=your_end_script_path

These scripts will be the scripts on the source client that will put the dbs in backup mode and to end backup mode.
The volume name(s) in Backup Selection following the script names must be the source volumes on the source client.

In Clients tab you specify the source client name.

Once this is working, you may want to attempt Oracle agent backup...
But lets keep this for a new discussion once you get a volume-level backup to work...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Oracle control files cannot reside on disk areas being snapped/cloned.

faizykhan89
Level 3

We are not using Snaphots for BCV backups rather recovery manager will generate the scripts automatically.

Marianne
Level 6

recovery manager?

As in Oracle Recovery Manager (rman)?  Using 'proxy' backup method?
This still needs to integrate with EMC snapshot methods.

Or something else that is called 'recovery manager'? 

No idea how this can be done without snapshots or some sort of snapshot technology...

My understanding of BCV (Business Continuity Volume) is that it is a mirror copy of the volume that resides on the source DB server and that the source server needs access to both volumes in order to write/sync both copies.
To ensure that the BCV copy to be accessed and backed up by the media server is in a consistent state, a snapshot needs to be taken (
split/separate/activate or whatever it is called on the EMC side...)

I only have experience with the snapshot methods explained in Snapshot Client manual.

If you have other methods working for you - you are welcome to try it.

Sorry for wasting both our valuable times....

faizykhan89
Level 3

Thanks a lot Marianne..It was a great help from your side. smiley

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Do you mean EMC replication manager ? Don't think there is an integration between that and NetBackup

At least there wasn't when I checked a couple of years ago.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

faizykhan89
Level 3

Replication manager is being used with EMC VNX snapview clone technology which will create the clones of databases and then Netbackup 7.0.1 on Solaris media server will work as offhost backup server and backup those clones to tape library and Datadomain.

Can you plz suggest me short pointers to keep in mind while configuring all this setup ?

Marianne
Level 6

So.. This is 'Replication manager'. Not 'Recovery Manager' as stated the other day....

EMC VNX snapview clone is described in the Snapshot Client manual as stated in my lengthy post of the other day:

In the 7.1 manual it is called 'EMC_CLARiiON_SnapView_Clone'.

faizykhan89
Level 3

it really helped me a lot.smiley

Thanks.