cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure RMAN backups in windows2008 server in Netbackup 7.5.03 environment.

Soap_Raj
Level 4

Hi All,

I need to know how configure or install RMAN backup in our environment.

Environment Details:

Master & Media Server OS: Windows 2008 R2 Enterprises.

Netbackup Version:  7.5.0.3

Details:  We need to take RMAN backup from Unix server.

If you know any information or any article please let us know..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Strictly speaking, RMAN is an Oracle product so this is not the place to ask the question.  But I suspect you really mean NetBackup for Oracle, in which case I recommend starting with the Admin Guide.  And then sitting down with your DBA to figure out the details.  If you have a more specific question then come back here.

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for Oracle Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5175

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

Strictly speaking, RMAN is an Oracle product so this is not the place to ask the question.  But I suspect you really mean NetBackup for Oracle, in which case I recommend starting with the Admin Guide.  And then sitting down with your DBA to figure out the details.  If you have a more specific question then come back here.

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for Oracle Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5175

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to Bill's excellent post - please do not try and do this on your own.

Involve Oracle dba right from the start. Oracle backup is 80% dba responsibility, 20% backup admin.

All you need to do from backup admin perspective is to assist with installation of NBU client software, show dba in the manual how to link Oracle with NBU, create policy, ensure media is available.

Configuration of RMAN and creating backup scripts is dba's responsibility. 
Restores will also be dba's responsibilities.

Troubleshooting needs to be a joint effort.

Extremely important to ensure forward and reverse lookup between master and media server and Oracle client.
If Unix client is not on DNS, add hosts entries on server(s) and client.

Soap_Raj
Level 4

HI all, Thanks for the information.. Im just gathering the information and details of RMAN backup Configuartion. I will read the above article for myself. Once again thank you very much for your help...