cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect to iSCSI storage?

BirtyB
Level 4

Hi all, having come from HP Data Protector we are complete NBU Virgins so have a couple of question.  Hopefully someone can advise! :)

We will be using a seperate Master & Media server (both Virtual Windows Server 2012) and the Media server will be the backup host.  99% of our backups will be of VMWare VM's.

We have purchased 2 x 30TB 10GbE iSCSI disk arrays (Nexsan E18V & QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP) and was wondering about the best way to connect this storage to the media server.  Would it be OK to create a huge volume on each box and connect it using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator within the guest or is it better to add it as a volume within ESX so the guest thinks it is just another local volume?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I choose former(thru MS iSCSI) if I were as later may bring us potential issues related with VMDK and VM snapshots.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

If your new storage box supports ONLY iSCSI protocol then you  dont have any other option.

But how you are backing your virtual infrastructure ?? what is policy type ?

what is next if you connect new storage box with media servers ???

BirtyB
Level 4

Hi, yes only iSCSI but we are able to connect using 2 methods; 1 within guest using MS iSCSI Initiator or add to ESX datastore and present as local volume to guest.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I choose former(thru MS iSCSI) if I were as later may bring us potential issues related with VMDK and VM snapshots.