cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy existing backup copies inside SLP between disks?

steve_li
Level 1

We have backups write to DD1, then replicate to DD2 on another site, I assume with SLP.

I heard you can not manually duplicate backup images created by SLP, so how to duplicate them again?

What we want to do is, we are decommissioning DD2, so we need to change SLP to do backup to DD1 and replicate to DD3 which is on 3rd site with a new media server, but we also want to migrate the data from DD2 to DD3, what's the detailed steps to do so? Originally I thought I just list all the images in DD2, and manually duplicate them to DD3, but if it's with SLP, is it still doable?

Hope I explained clearly.

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES 3

GL_Steve
Level 3

The main reason we want to duplicate everything from DD2 to DD3 is, they are data domain deduplication, so if we don't do this, DD3 is brand new and empty, the first backup could be very long as an initial full backup to create deduplication meta data. I guess after duplication, DD3 would be ready to do any further backup very quickly as it already has all the chunks?

Also DD2 has more than 3 months backups on it, don't want to keep it for months to expire everything.

Genericus
   VIP   

You cannot manually duplicate a backup image while it is under the control of the SLP, but once it is completed, you certainly can. So manually duplicating from DD2 to DD3 will work for completed SLP.

You may want to check with EMC to determine if you can just replicate DD2 to DD3, and then read in the images to NetBackup.

I am pretty sure if you set up the Data Domains correctly, they will send deduplicated data once they get the original data copied.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

I set up this for loop, to make two copies with altreadhost - it inactivates then cancels any SLP so the duplication works.

for i in (list of backupid)
do
echo $i
nbstlutil inactive -backupid $i
nbstlutil cancel -backupid $i
bpduplicate -number_copies 2 -dstunit DESTINATION1,DESTINATION2 -dp POOL1,POOL2 -altreadhost ALTHOST -backupid $i -rl RETENTION1,RETENTION2 -owner OWNER1,OWNER2 &
sleep 180 ## set sleep to about how long each duplication will run, so you do not overload it.
done

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS