cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a virtual VMware Backup Host for NetBackup?

Didi
Level 4

Hello everybody,

our company has a NetBackup environment in our Datacenter to backup our virtual infrastructure based on VMware vSphere. As we use NFS shares for our VMware datastore, VMware backups were planned to use NBD transport protocol with the known limitation in speed.

In a first step (before we start to migrate our datastores) I would like to use virtual VMware Backup Hosts to use HOTADD transport instead of NBD.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any step-by-step documentation from Veritas (competitors do have such documentation), how to create such virtual VMware Backup hosts that can read VMDKs directly from datastores via HOTADD, as long as VMs do not use IDE disks.

Here is what I found so far (correct me, if I am wrong) ...

Create a Windows VM (e.g. Windows Server 2012 R2) and install the NetBackup Client (in this case v8.0). For safety reason I would recommend to use the 'automount disable' and 'automount scrub' command in diskpart. Furthermore, I would recommend to disable the DiskManagement Snap-In via gpcedit.msc !

Finally, one has to include this new virtual VMware backup host in the host properties of the NetBackup Master Server and add it to the 'VMware backup hosts' settings.

Is that totally wrong or do I miss something?

Any reply is much appreciated!

37 REPLIES 37

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In a first step (before we start to migrate our datastores) I would like to use virtual VMware Backup Hosts to use HOTADD transport instead of NBD.

The first question is "Why hot-add?".

You want your Backup host to be able to read vmdk from NFS datastore. It is ok. But what's next? If you use NetBackup client as a  Backup host it simply reads vmdk from NFS datastore  (via LAN) and passes the same amount of traffic (via LAN) to the media server. It has no difference with LAN transport except some details. If you want to reduce LAN traffic you can use media server installed into a  VM as VMware Backup Hosts but is should use SAN connected disks otherwise you'll pass traffic via LAN again.

Veritas has nice admin guide for NetBackup + VMware https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108087 it covers everything. 

and articles:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v63153325_nbu_vmware_web

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v62458957_nbu_vmware_web

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000094725

It requires reading because you're designing a backup solution and must consider many factors.

Hello Mike_Gavrilov, first of all thanks for replying so fast.

The first question is "Why hot-add?".

According to most documentation or internet articles (also from competitors) I learned, SAN transport with NFS datastores is not possible, so the only option you have, is to use NBD oder HOTADD as transport protocol. Correct me, if I am wrong.

Why HOTADD instead of NBD? Because NBD is limited to 100MB/s in 1 stream and 220Mb/s in 4 streams, with every stream at 55MB/s at max according to a NetBackup technical article. This is far beyond the theoretical maximum transfer speed of a 10GBit/s LAN interface, because VMware limits the traffic to ensure that managment of the console is still possible. HOTADD transfer should be much faster, as the VMDKs of VMs in SNAPSHOT-mode can be attached to those virtual 'VMware Backup Hosts', which seem to be called 'VMware Access Hosts' now in NetBackup v8.0 according to the Host properties dialog of the Master Server, right? Backup data can be processed through a 10GBit/s LAN-interface without limitations. It is right, that the VMDKs must be read through LAN from the NFS datastore and send through LAN again to the physical media server, where the MSDP pool is located, but the same happens with NBD.

No doubt that SAN transport would be the best option of all VADP transport protocols.

This is only 1 of several steps to follow, but in the end I would like to use those 'VMware Access Hosts' and HOTADD transport mode for restore purposes, when e.g. Thin VMDKs must be restored, which is not recommend to be restored via SAN transport. Correct me, if I am wrong!

I already studied the NetBackup 8.0 Administrator Guide for VMware before I wrote the initial post, but I couldn't find the necessary steps to follow to create a VMware Access Hosts for use in NetBackup, that's why I tried to list the steps in my initial post.

Maybe you can answer the question here?

A virtual 'VMware Access Hosts' formerly known as a 'VMware Backup Host' or 'VMware Proxy Server' is no more than a virtual Windows machine with the NetBackup client installed? Or are there any further steps or software installations necessary before I can configure or add this virtual 'VMware Access Host' to the Host Properties configuration of the NetBackup Master Server?

As SAN transport with VADP is only possible with FC or iSCSI, the necessary steps to migrate from NFS to iSCSI storage will follow, as we would like to backup VMware VMs as fast as possible and NBD is definitely too slow, specially for such a big environment in a Datacenter, where we are talking about several TB of data.

Best regards.

Mike_Gavrilov

Hi Didi,

Got your point. 10G changes the whole picture.

HOTADD transfer should be much faster, as the VMDKs of VMs in SNAPSHOT-mode can be attached to those virtual 'VMware Backup Hosts', which seem to be called 'VMware Access Hosts' now in NetBackup v8.0 according to the Host properties dialog of the Master Server, right?

Yes, this is correct about VMWare Backup host but I have doubts about "much faster". Sure, you can work around vmkernel port limitation with hot-add but can you read VMDKs faster than 220 Mb/s with your productive load? Do you have enough bandwith on media-servers?

I would use NBD + NetBackup Accelerator (CBT).

A virtual 'VMware Access Hosts' formerly known as a 'VMware Backup Host' or 'VMware Proxy Server' is no more than a virtual Windows machine with the NetBackup client installed? 

That's correct but it also can be virtualized Media Server

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v19545588_nbu_vmware_web

Step-by-step in the end of presentation

https://vox.veritas.com/qsuop67736/attachments/qsuop67736/Articles-Backup-and-Recovery/715/1/NetBack...  starts on page 22

Or are there any further steps or software installations necessary before I can configure or add this virtual 'VMware Access Host' to the Host Properties configuration of the NetBackup Master Server?

NetBackup installation is enough. 

Didi

You mentioned "Because NBD is limited to 100MB/s in 1 stream and 220Mb/s in 4 streams, with every stream at 55MB/s at max according to a NetBackup technical article."

Do you have a reference for that article?  This something I need to look at again.  In the past I couldn't find much and assumed it was forum folklore

Quote Mike_Gavrilov: Yes, this is correct about VMWare Backup host but I have doubts about "much faster". Sure, you can work around vmkernel port limitation with hot-add but can you read VMDKs faster than 220 Mb/s with your productive load? Do you have enough bandwith on media-servers?

With a competitor product I can get 450 to 510 MByte/s on SAS-drives with 1 stream. Using 2 backup streams on 2 different VMs using HOTADD on the same ESXi-host I get 2x 330 MByte/s (660MByte in total) on SAS-drives. Will move one HOTADD-VM to another ESXi-host and see, if I might get more, because in this scenario, the theoretical limit on 10GBits/s interfaces is nearly reached. Somewhere I read, that around 600MByte/s on one 10GBit/s LAN interface is realistic.

Quote Mike_Gavrilov: I would use NBD + NetBackup Accelerator (CBT).

Believe me, the last step of changes, will be iSCSI-storage and VADP SAN transport protocol and NetBackup Accelerator use.

Quote Mike_Gavrilov: Or are there any further steps or software installations necessary before I can configure or add this virtual 'VMware Access Host' to the Host Properties configuration of the NetBackup Master Server? NetBackup installation is enough. 

So, the clear answer to my question is ... A naked Windows 2012R2 installation and the install of the NetBackup Client v8.0 is enough and I can use this VM as a VMware Access Host, integrate this one in the Host Properties of the Master server and use HOTADD with this VM, right?

Mike_Gavrilov

A naked Windows 2012R2 installation and the install of the NetBackup Client v8.0 is enough and I can use this VM as a VMware Access Host, integrate this one in the Host Properties of the Master server and use HOTADD with this VM, right?

Yes, and you have to install Enterprise Client license on the master server but it's pretty obvious. 

Ok, I managed to create a new Windows Server 2012 R2 VM and installed the NetBackup Client 8.0 as well. I configured the names of the media server during the installation of the NetBackup Client as well.

Under Host Properties I configured the VMware Access Host (name of the upper mentioned VM), but something is still missing ... I get can't connect to client (58) as error message.

I don't know what to include else, so that this VMware Backup Host can be used for HOTADD. Do I need to configure the credentials for this VMware Backup Host and if yes, where exactly?

Sorry, but this info is missing from the documentation you mentioned.

(Enterprise Client is installed)

Thank you.

Do I need to configure the properties of the Media Server as well, e.g. add the VMware Backup Host VM anywhere?

Mike_Gavrilov

1. Chek if NetBackup serveices are running on the installed VM and check logon account for the NetBackup Client Service:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000119889

2. Try to run on the master:

#bptestbpcd -host <installed client name> -verbose

and shere the output

3. Have you created Virtual Machine Servers record?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v19545547_nbu_vmware_web

NetBackup Client Service (running)

NetBackup Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent (running)

NetBackup Discovery Framework (running)

NetBackup Legacy Client Service (running)

NetBackup Legacy Network Service (running)

NetBackup Proxy Service (not running)

NetBackup SAN Client Fibre Transport Service (not running)

Mike_Gavrilov

It looks good.  Could you run on your master?

3. Have you created Virtual Machine Servers record?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v19545547_nbu_vmware_web

Yes, done ages ago, since we backup this infrastructure via NBD already.

A vCenter server is configured, but nowhere I configured credentials for the VMware Backup Host VM. Is that not necessary?

Ok, I suppose this is the problem, here is the output ...

...\admincmd>bptestbpcd -host testvm -verbose
<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(testvm) failed: 25
<16>bptestbpcd main: cannot connect on socket
cannot connect on socket

Mike_Gavrilov

Yes, you need to fix connectivity issue first. 

Ok, but what kind of issue do I have. A Ping is possible without problem.

Mike_Gavrilov

What about telnet to the client's 1556 port?

Ok, I disabled the Firewall on the VMware Backup Host VM and now I get error 4204 Incompatible client found?

The used NetBackup version is 8.0 and the NetBackup client is also 8.0 !

Hmm?

...\admincmd>bptestbpcd -host testvm -verbose

works now, as for other client, when disabling the firewall!

But why error 4204 ?