cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create msdp using scripts

YOYO_YUE
Level 3

HI   

anybody known how to use scripts to create the msdp (include pool & stu ) .  

NBU VERSION = 8.1.2

OS VERSION = Redhat7.3 x64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK - understandably SDO isn't comfortable to publish the steps, which I totally understand   ... but I can ...  :0)  - so if it saves a support call that's geat.

I've not tested this, but at first glance it looks to be complete.

First make sure Server is configured as Media Server in Netbackup and make sure the name resolution between Master Server and Media server is working fine .

Then run below command either on Master server or Media server to create the MSDP Storage Server ( I would request you to run the below command on Master server )
If Master Server is windows machine :
1) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server <storage Server Name>-stype PureDisk -media_server <Media Server Hostname>
2) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\volmgr\bin\tpconfig -add -storage_server <Storahe Server Name> -stype PureDisk -sts_user_id <user_name> -password <password>

If Master Server is Linux Machine
1) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server <storage Server HostName>-stype PureDisk -media_server <Media Server Hostname>
2) /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -add -storage_server <Storahe Server Name> -stype PureDisk -sts_user_id <user_name> -password <password>

NOTE : In command 1 I would request you to keep the Storage Server and Media Server Hoatname same .
In command 2 username and password is for spa user and would be saved in spad database and this username and password has nothing to do with any OS login credentials or any Active Directory user's credentials
keep the username and password simple like Uesrname : admin Passowrd : admin or Uesrname : root Passowrd : root

Then run below command locally on Media Server to create the MSDP file and folder structure :
If Media Server Serevr is Windows Machine :
3) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\pdde\PDDE_initConfig.bat --storagepoolid=1234 --spalogin=username --spapasswd=password --spalogpath=<MSDP_Path\log> --storagepath=<MSDP_Path> --spalogretention=7 --verboselevel=5 --installpath="C:\Program Files\Veritas\pdde" --dbpath=<MSDP_DBPath> --required_interface=Hostname of Media Server

If Media Server is Linux Machine :
3) /usr/openv/pdde/pdconfigure/scripts/installers/PDDE_initConfig.sh --storagepoolid=1234 --spalogin=username --spapasswd=password --spalogpath=<MSDP_Path/log> --storagepath=<MSDP_Path> --spalogretention=7 --verboselevel=3 --installpath=/usr/openv/pdde --dbpath=<MSDP_DBPath> --required_interface=Hostname of Media Server

NOTE : In command 3 , keep the username and password same which we provided in command 2 .
Also you can either keep the MSDP_Path and MSDP_DBPath same or keep them them on different paths

Then restart the Netbackup services on Media server and check if spad and spoold services are running on it .

Once the sapd and spoold services are up , then create Diskpool using below command :
4) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40

If Master Server is Linux Machine :
4) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig/nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40

Then create Storage Unit with Command :
5) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpstuadd -label <Storage Unit Name> -dp <Disk_Pool_Name created in command 4>

5) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstuadd -label <Storage Unit Name> -dp <Disk_Pool_Name created in command 4>

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@YOYO_YUE     I checked the documentation and all it shows is the GUI method, and does not describe how to create all required constructs from CLI... so I raised a support case (case number 190905-001567) requesting whether Veritas might be able to supply a documented procedure describing how to create an MSDP instance from the CLI... and the Veritas tech I was assigned to was indeed able to furnish such a procedure.  I can say that the supplied procedure contains a step that I had never heard of before, yet, I'm not at liberty to publish their procedure here - so, I'm ever so sorry, but you are most probably going to have to raise your own support case requesting a copy of the same procedure.  HTH.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK - understandably SDO isn't comfortable to publish the steps, which I totally understand   ... but I can ...  :0)  - so if it saves a support call that's geat.

I've not tested this, but at first glance it looks to be complete.

First make sure Server is configured as Media Server in Netbackup and make sure the name resolution between Master Server and Media server is working fine .

Then run below command either on Master server or Media server to create the MSDP Storage Server ( I would request you to run the below command on Master server )
1) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server <storage Server Name>-stype PureDisk -media_server <Media Server Hostname>
2) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\volmgr\bin\tpconfig -add -storage_server <Storahe Server Name> -stype PureDisk -sts_user_id <user_name> -password <password>

If Master Server is Linux Machine
1) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server <storage Server HostName>-stype PureDisk -media_server <Media Server Hostname>
2) /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -add -storage_server <Storahe Server Name> -stype PureDisk -sts_user_id <user_name> -password <password>

NOTE : In command 1 I would request you to keep the Storage Server and Media Server Hoatname same .
In command 2 username and password is for spa user and would be saved in spad database and this username and password has nothing to do with any OS login credentials or any Active Directory user's credentials
keep the username and password simple like Uesrname : admin Passowrd : admin or Uesrname : root Passowrd : root

Then run below command locally on Media Server to create the MSDP file and folder structure :
If Media Server Serevr is Windows Machine :
3) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\pdde\PDDE_initConfig.bat --storagepoolid=1234 --spalogin=username --spapasswd=password --spalogpath=<MSDP_Path\log> --storagepath=<MSDP_Path> --spalogretention=7 --verboselevel=5 --installpath="C:\Program Files\Veritas\pdde" --dbpath=<MSDP_DBPath> --required_interface=Hostname of Media Server

If Media Server is Linux Machine :
3) /usr/openv/pdde/pdconfigure/scripts/installers/PDDE_initConfig.sh --storagepoolid=1234 --spalogin=username --spapasswd=password --spalogpath=<MSDP_Path/log> --storagepath=<MSDP_Path> --spalogretention=7 --verboselevel=3 --installpath=/usr/openv/pdde --dbpath=<MSDP_DBPath> --required_interface=Hostname of Media Server

NOTE : In command 3 , keep the username and password same which we provided in command 2 .
Also you can either keep the MSDP_Path and MSDP_DBPath same or keep them them on different paths

Then restart the Netbackup services on Media server and check if spad and spoold services are running on it .

Once the sapd and spoold services are up , then create Diskpool using below command :
4) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40

4) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig/nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40

Then create Storage Unit with Command :
5) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpstuadd -label <Storage Unit Name> -dp <Disk_Pool_Name created in command 4>

5) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstuadd -label <Storage Unit Name> -dp <Disk_Pool_Name created in command 4>

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for sharing!! I will use it for sure.

sdo

I tried the procedure - but there was a step missing, so support were able to suggest the fix, which was a pre 4a) step was required to preview the disk volume, and then to feed that preview in to the creation of the disk pool :

4a) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -previewdv -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name>  > dv-config.txt

4a) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig/nbdevconfig -previewdv -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name>  > dv-config.txt

4b) Install_Path\Program_files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40 -dvlist dv-config.txt

4b) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig/nbdevconfig -createdp -dp <DiskPoolName> -stype PureDisk -storage_server <Storage_Server_Name> -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40 -dvlist dv-config.txt

HTH

sdo

@mph999 cheers for sharing that... and I re-tested with the additional step 4a) and slightly adjusted step 4b) and it all worked ok.  tc.  D.

(FYI - my demo / test environment was NetBackup Master/Media Server v8.1.1 on Windows Server 2019 Standard (as a VM in Hyper-V))

sdo

...and thanks are due too, to both Jaswant and Navneet from Veritas Support - cheers fellas, for the procedure and the fix   :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh yes, the preview step ..  thank you for pointning that out sdo - I didn't have time to test it on Fri ...

@mph999

should the poolid always be 1234 ?

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From what I can see, no - just unique

THANKS  use the scripts create MSDP successfully

"C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig" -previewdv -stype PureDisk -storage_server demo01 > c:\dv-config.txt

"C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig" -createdp -dp pool_msdp_nbu -stype PureDisk -storage_server demo01 -hwm 90 -lwm 80 -max_io_streams 40 -dvlist c:\dv-config.txt