cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete the 7 months old catalog on Linux server

alex_gholami
Level 2

Hi all,

one of our Symantec NetBackup master server indicating  dis pools is full over 94%. we are having  over nine  old catalogs, each one is over 6 months old. I was planing to delete multple old catalogs , in order to create additional space. here is the commands I have used .

master server name:/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin#  bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid ( this is backup Id that I find under catalog search window1417928400 ) -d 0 -copy 1

output:

that meet the following criteria:
  backupid         master server name.es1.company name_1417928400
  copy             1

to expire NOW
Continue?(y/n)y
no entity was found            <<<<  error message

If I am usig wrong command, what is the correct one. ?

maybe I am in wrong place to delete old catalog, what is correct path?

this is a output of  folder

master server:/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin # ls

.bin       catalogcaseconvert  crdoreader  crrepair  dcpcrypt          dsiddel  genpo    pddeDR      report62splog  spauser    stat
adler32    cdrinit.sh          crfp        crstat    dcscan            filedel  md5      pddecfg     reroute        spextract  wsget
ca_test    crcollect           crget       crstats   delayscan         fileget  nstpack  pdstresscr  spad           splogscan  wslog
cacontrol  crcontrol           crrecover   dbutil    dr_createlist.sh  fileput  pdconf   prdate      spadb          spoold

Thanks for your time in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Do not use -recalculate. Just run the command as bpexpdate -backupid name.es1.company name_1417928400 -d 0 -copy 1

You can run this command from any directory as long as the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd directory is in your path.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

After deleting the backups it may take up to 12 hour for Netbackup to clean-up and release the disk space. Alternative you can run the following command to intiate the clean-up

/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/crcontrol --processqueue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Do not use -recalculate. Just run the command as bpexpdate -backupid name.es1.company name_1417928400 -d 0 -copy 1

You can run this command from any directory as long as the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd directory is in your path.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

After deleting the backups it may take up to 12 hour for Netbackup to clean-up and release the disk space. Alternative you can run the following command to intiate the clean-up

/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/crcontrol --processqueue

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is your retention periods in backup schedules?

And do you have secondary storage (such as tape) to duplicate older backups to?
(It seems you do: Catalog backup full issue with status code of 2009 and 2 )

Always a good idea to create SLPs to backup to dedupe disk (short retentention such as 1 or 2 months) and duplicate to tape with longer retention.

When expiring dedupe images, you need to be aware that if any newer backups are still relying on the older data, the information about the backup will be removed in NBU catalog, but the actual data will remain on disk, now pointing to the newer backup.