cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine on which tape(s) the full backup set is located

shaddy_02
Level 2

Hi Backup Pros,

I'm an intern DBA and some issues related to the backups has brought me here.

In our environment we use NetBackup-Solaris10 7.6.0.2

RMAN configuration: CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS  'ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=srcServer,NB_ORA_POLICY=Prod,NB_ORA_SCHED=Prod_6wk)';

From DBA side we have shceduled nightly RMAN backups to backup our databaseS. the parameters set in the RMAN configuration above shows that the backups are directly going to the SBT_TAPE.When we need to restore a database we will run the RMAN command again from our side to restore any database. 

According to backup team the backups are going to a disk on media server (kind of tape as per backup admin) that the DBA have no acces to. Once the backup expires it is then moved to tape and then tapes are sent offsite for retention as per requirements in policy. 

Issues/Problem

1. The DBAs can't browse the media server (kind of a tape according to backup admin). 

2. The RMAN restore/duplicate runs fine when the tapes are still onsite and are attached to the media server. However, when the tapes are offsite the backup admin would ask us to provide date and time window for the backup, but still he is not sure if the whole backup set is on the tape that he has recalled. It's only after we run the restore from our site we will find that out when the backup gets hung and then the backup admin would order further tapes. 

3. Recently there was a database server that crashed therefore no access to rman target. A high priority request came in to restore the test counterpart of the production database that crashed from the latest backup on a different server. Although the tapes were attached RMAN can't duplicate the database from prod backup to test although correct parameters were provided.

Question:

1. On SQL Servers we can browse the archive logs and full net backups using MMS SQL netbackup client, is there something similar for the Oracle on UNIX.

2. Is there a way that dba's can browse the backup pieces from the backup media server/tape and find oud out exactly on which tape(s) a full backup set is located?

3. We have RMAN recovery catalog database that can provide whole lot of information about the RMAN backup history. What information is needed by the backup team though?

3. How do we get the tape numbers on which the whole backup set is? We can query the tag number or handles of backup pieces but backup admin says it is no use for him, he would need tape numbers. 

thanks in advance, I may have more questions after getting this initial answers.  

8 REPLIES 8

sclind
   VIP   

As far as #3 we use these commands to list the backups and the tapes needed (using the  date/time range given to us by the DBA's)

# bpimagelist -U -d 04/01/2016 16:00:00 -e 04/02/2016 18:00:00 -client xxxxxxxx -policy SAP_yyy 

Backed Up         Expires       Files       KB  C  Sched Type      On Hold Index Status Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- --------  -  --------------- ------- ------------ ------------

04/01/2016 19:32  05/02/2016        1 812522286  N  User Backup     0       0            SAP_yyy
04/01/2016 19:32  05/02/2016        1 843302916  N  User Backup     0       0            SAP_yyy
04/01/2016 19:32  05/02/2016        1 835919279  N  User Backup     0       0            SAP_yyy

# bpimagelist -media -U -d 04/01/2016 16:00:00 -e 04/02/2016 18:00:00 -client xxxxxxxx -policy SAP_yyy

Media ID On Hold   Last Written       Server
-------- -------   ----------------   ----------
BU3081   0         04/02/2016 17:43   zzzzzz
BU3101   0         04/02/2016 17:40   zzzzzz
BU2300   0         04/02/2016 17:36   zzzzzz

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree with 'bpimagelist -media .... ' command. Bear in mind that this command can only run on a master or media server, which makes it a backup admin function.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Found this thread :

http://veritas-bu.mailman.eng.auburn.narkive.com/O93V5IMA/rman-veritas-correlating-media-id-after-tape-vaulted

If backup images hasn't been copied then the recover catalog contain the required media id. If backup images has been copied from disk to tape, then its a dba backup team effort using recover catalog queries, bplist and bpflist commands.

Here is a bpflist example :

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/determine-rman-backup-image-contents-without-rman-records-backup

And examples using bplist

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH145113

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup-quick-hints/bpflist/

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

question 1. : no, there is not

questions 2.-4. :

from Oracle side, you can use commands like "list backup of database" (RMAN) or "select media,handle from v$backup_piece" (sqlplus), which display Media ID. However, they will display media ID for first backup to disk in your situation. When later this backup is moved to tape, Oracle DB is not aware of this. In the case of restore, NetBackup will automatically find out new media ID from Oracle handle.

I think there is no way to specify complete list of media in advance, considering that Oracle backup strategies can be generally complex. Not mentioning archive log backups, where there could be more than one backup for 1 certain archive log.

See that this can extend your RTO. One way how to simplify this, is to use separate NetBackup volume pool (dedicated group of media) for all your Oracle backups. In case of restore situation, ask for all the tapes in this pool. Consult with backup team if this is possible.

Regards

Michal

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Not sure if this will help, but NetBackup v7.7.2 includes two new options on the "nboraadm" command:

-list_jobs

-list_jobs_details

See page 20 of the NetBackup v7.7.2 Release Notes.

Genericus
   VIP   

In my shop, as NB admin I am separate from the DBA, they tell me they need to restore a backup on a database, from what day.

I can run commands on the master server that gives me a list of the media. I change ownership to the destination media server if it is different.

They restore the control file, then restore the database.

We do restores of our databases every 8 weeks, to DR/test this process.

PLEASE TRIPE CHECK YOUR RMAN PROCESS! 90% of the NetBackup issues I have with RMAN restores are typo - wrong date, bad format, etc.

Note - for the CLIENT variable, you need to use the original source client, run from the destination (if it is different)

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

I found this old tip:

# To find media to restore for oracle clients by Oracle block file - ON THE ORACLE CLIENT  run this command:
     /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -ml /db_717_1_662950820 -ct Oracle
#    if you have dates you can add -s mm/dd/yy

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

shaddy_02
Level 2

Hi everyone, first of all sorry for the late reply as I got busy with some other work and had to delay this. I will be testing the above recommendations soon and will get back asap.