cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do a FULL Linux restore.

donv
Level 3

I'm having issues when I try to do a FULL system restore of a Linux server from /.  It fails with a "can't connect on sock" and a libc is too short.  Does anyone know what I can do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

you do not want to restore overtop the / (root) directory. restore to /root and then remount.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6

you do not want to restore overtop the / (root) directory. restore to /root and then remount.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I fully agree with Bob.

See this extract from NBU 6.5 Troubleshooting Guide:

The following is the procedure for recovering the system disk on a client workstation:

1 Reload the operating system as you normally would for a client workstation
of that type. If the root file system is lost, the best approach may be to reload the operating system on an alternate boot disk and boot from this disk. After restoring the system, restore root to its original partition. This lets you recover the root partition without risking a crash due to overwriting files being used by the operating system during the restore. The procedure is similar to that for the master server, except that recovering the NetBackup catalogs is not necessary. (See “Recovering the master server disk” on page 532.)

2 Reinstall NetBackup client software and patches.

3 Use the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore interface to select and restore files.

Jim-90
Level 6

Commvault have this cleary documentd using the method described previously.   This contains more details all have to do swap commvualt stuff for Netbackup.  

see

http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_rec...