cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade version 9.0 to 8.1.1

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello,

I have a media server in 9.0 but the master server is 8.1.1, after upgrade many backup failed, so i need know how to downgrade the 9.0 to 8.1.1 in media server linux.

can you help me please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @robertoaxity 

This process for doing this is well documented. Here is a link describing this for Unix/Linux. 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624 

Keep the hostname the same on your replacement server, and keep the old server intact until you verify the new server is working. The basic steps are as follows:

1. Build new server with same hostname and same filesystem layout.
  2. Perform full catalog backup of old master server - then shut the old master down. Make the backup available on basic disk is ideal but not essential. Do not put it onto MSDP storage for this. Make sure you know the catalog DR passphase (change it before the backup if you do not - it will be required for recovery)
  3. Install same version of NetBackup on new master server (if you have the option perform a recovery install) otherwise just install NBU.
  4. If recovery option in 3 not available, perform a catalog recovery (wizard available from Java GUI). 
  5. Once satisified new master is okay, upgrade to whatever version you want (e.g. 9.0)

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @robertoaxity 

If your media server has MSDP attached, then you may be in trouble due to possible changes that have been made - I think most were done prior 8.1, but not sure if anything else has been done.

Otherwise, the best option would be to uninstall NetBackup 9.0 and then reinstall 8.1.1. You will probably need to create a reissue token to perform the install. The media server should just reattach when you reinstall and devices should be reinstated as they were.

If you do have MSDP, then your best bet would be to log a support call to ask for assistance (not saying they can help, but they would be able to advise on your options). 

Can you upgrade your master server instead - it might be a simpler solution?

Cheers
David

PS. I'm not going to ask why you got into this situation - you have enough trouble as it is.....

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello davidmoline,

Thanks for your help, my master server is RHEL 6.3 and no support netbackup 9.0, i think create a new vm with RHEL 8 and install netbackup 9.0 and then leave this new server as master server, but i dont know how to copy all policies, images or any configuration to this new server.

Can you help me with this step? it's possible migrate all configuration ?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Hi @robertoaxity 

This process for doing this is well documented. Here is a link describing this for Unix/Linux. 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624 

Keep the hostname the same on your replacement server, and keep the old server intact until you verify the new server is working. The basic steps are as follows:

1. Build new server with same hostname and same filesystem layout.
  2. Perform full catalog backup of old master server - then shut the old master down. Make the backup available on basic disk is ideal but not essential. Do not put it onto MSDP storage for this. Make sure you know the catalog DR passphase (change it before the backup if you do not - it will be required for recovery)
  3. Install same version of NetBackup on new master server (if you have the option perform a recovery install) otherwise just install NBU.
  4. If recovery option in 3 not available, perform a catalog recovery (wizard available from Java GUI). 
  5. Once satisified new master is okay, upgrade to whatever version you want (e.g. 9.0)

Cheers
David

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello,

1. Build new server with same hostname and same filesystem layout. (Ready)

How obtain or configure the DR Passphase? 

Full Catalogo Backup (Ready)

1. Install same version of NetBackup on new master server (if you have the option perform a recovery install) otherwise just install NBU. 
  2. If recovery option in 3 not available, perform a catalog recovery (wizard available from Java GUI). 
  3. Once satisified new master is okay, upgrade to whatever version you want (e.g. 9.0)

Regards

The DR passphrase is set/saved in the Global Security Settings section of the Java UI. Look for the Disaster Recovery tab. If you do not know the current passphrase (this is bad as you would be unable to recover NetBackup easily), you can change the passphrase for subsequent backups. 

davidmoline_0-1623370864016.png

The DR package is required to restore/recover the NetBackup certificates which will avoid you having to roll out new CA & host certificates to every media server and client.

David

robertoaxity
   VIP   

This installation is old, so i dont know the DR  passphrases, i see the next doc.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100033743

from what I read, an installation must be done as if it were a new master server, and then add the old master server (it contains the full catalog), but the document mentions media server, so if possible? or i need other steps?

Thanks for your help

Regards

As I said, if you don't know the current passphrase, set a new one. Then run the full catalog backup. Problem solved.

You won't be able to access previous DR packages that used the old passphrase you don't know, but you will be able to use the ones created after you have set the new passphrase.

The article you referenced is applicable if you have to recover in an unplanned situation and also do not have the passphrase. You are not in this situation.

David

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Oh, thanks, i did not know that I could modify the phrase, well I will do the migration next Monday since this weekend they run full backups, and therefore I do not know how long the migration will take and if anything happens at least I will have those backups assets

Thank you very much for all the help and I will comment on how it was when I do

And the last question, i have opscenter, master server and media servers on my platform, what is the order to start updating to version 9.0 (ignoring the media that has already been updated to 9.0)?

Thanks very much

Regards

Krutons
   VIP   

@robertoaxity 

Upgrade in this order.

OpsCenter
Master
Media

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello Krutons,

Thanks for the reply, and y can upgrade only opscenter to 9.0 for now, and x day upgrade the rest?

Or i need upgrade all in the same day?

Regards

Krutons
   VIP   

You can upgrade OpsCenter whenever you want as long as OpsCenter is running a newer version than your master/media servers.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

@robertoaxity you can upgrade OpsCenter ahead of time. OpsCenter has no dependency as its supports reporting or data collection of master servers of older version. Just disable data collection during the master server upgrade.

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Oh thanks everyone for the reply

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello,

Well i try to upgrade opscenter 8.1.1 to 9.0 to later migrate the master server and the other computers, but the upgrade failed in the opscenter, so i open a case in veritas.

the error:

+ 06-14-2021,11:23:08 : [INSTALL_FAIL] OpsCenter database upgrade has failed for latest version 9.0.0.0. However, you can use the previous OpsCenter setup 8.1.1.0 that is still running

+ 06-14-2021,11:23:08 : [INSTALL_FAIL] For More information on database upgrade please refer C:\ProgramData\SYMANTEC\OpsCenter\InstallLogs\pre-install-config\db\log

Regards

Krutons
   VIP   

I'll take a look at the logs and see if I see anything.

Have you taken a look at https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100011424

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Hello Krutons,

Thanks for your reply, referent to the tech i need stop all services of netbackup in the  opscetner  server and then try? can you help me if is correct or not?

Regards

Krutons
   VIP   

No you shouldn't need to stop the NetBackup or OpsCenter services.

Have you verified you have plenty of free space? I would also suggest upgrading to 9.0.0.1 instead of 9.0.0.0. I don't know if a direct upgrade from 8.1.x to 9.0.0.0 is supported. I know 8.1.x to 9.0.0.1 is supported.

robertoaxity
   VIP   

The space is ok.

robertoaxity_0-1623705528248.png

i will try to test the version  9.0.0.1 and comment

Regards

robertoaxity
   VIP   

Well with the version 9.0.0.1 is the same.

robertoaxity_0-1623708745641.png

robertoaxity_1-1623708938311.png

Regards