Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exclude files and directories from NDMP backups

S__Sankara_Nara
Level 4
How to exclude files and directories from NDMP backups

http://support.veritas.com/docs/235246

How to create a NetBackup class file  in netbackup to exclude certain files for taking ndmp backup?

I need to know the exact location & file Name.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

from the tech note you are refering

*.dbf, core, *.tmp ... all these are wild cards...

Wild cards are not supported so excluding specific file extensions is not supported.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

S__Sankara_Nara
Level 4
i need to exclude *.dbf, core, *.tmp ...

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
if you use NBU console it is so simple...

the doc is referring the class file list under the path \installpath\NetBackup\db\class

for every policy you create in activity moniter a class file will be created and it contains all the parameters set under policy with indiviual file names.

backup selection will be there with a file name "includes"; if you open that you can see what all you have provided in the backup selection tab.

to be very clear, if you update the backup selection tab; it will in turn updates the class folder in the backend.

For example:  To exclude a directory named /vol/vol1/A, but to dump the rest of the volume, create a NetBackup class file list which would look like this:
SET EXCLUDE = A
/vol/vol1

To exclude multiple files or directories use commas to delimit the field:
SET EXCLUDE = A,B,C
/vol/vol1

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

from the tech note you are refering

*.dbf, core, *.tmp ... all these are wild cards...

Wild cards are not supported so excluding specific file extensions is not supported.  

S__Sankara_Nara
Level 4
do i need to edit the include class file under policy name in \installpath\NetBackup\db\class and put the set exclude in that?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
as per the tech note exclude it under your backup selection tab of policy, automatically it will update the include file under class folder

S__Sankara_Nara
Level 4
may i know where i can get the exclude file option (the client is a netapp storage)

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
imagebrowser imageimagebrowser image