cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to execute a policies one after another

Stiva
Level 4

Hi All,

We have no. of DFSR Backup policies for one server. We wants to execute the policies one after another. After job completion of 1st policy next policy has to triggered.

Is there any technique to execute such scenario in netbackup.

We are using Netbackup 7.1

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Problem is that bpend runs on the client.

I have been wondering why different policies are needed...

Why not single policy with
'Allow multiple data streams',
multiple entries in Backup Selection
Max jobs per Policy for this policy set to 1
?

This way only one entry in Backup Selection will run, complete, then start the next.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Not that I know off

Best workaround I can think off is giving the different policies different priority and ensure each policy start time is large enough to ensure the previous job reached end state. 

e.g.

Policy1 : Priority 99999  start 18:00

Policy2:  priority 55555 start 22:00

Policy3:  priority 0 start 05:00

However you can end up where both policy1 and policy2 is running concurrent if resources are limited. The priority diffrence will to a certain degree ensure policy1 is run before policy2 or policy3 (but not prevent it from running concurrent).

You could also as a further step create a storage unit with max job set to 1 or 2 (be aware of control job with schedule "-")  and assign all DFSR policies to that storage unit. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO86314

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You could run your first backup, then have a bpend.notify script to execute after it's finished that runs policy2, then after that policy finishes another than runs policy3 etc - basically daisy chained bpend_notify ?

bit messy in my opinion

Marianne
Level 6

Problem is that bpend runs on the client.

I have been wondering why different policies are needed...

Why not single policy with
'Allow multiple data streams',
multiple entries in Backup Selection
Max jobs per Policy for this policy set to 1
?

This way only one entry in Backup Selection will run, complete, then start the next.

Sulivan77
Level 4

Marianne's solution makes more sense.  Can you give us more information as to why you are using mutlipe policies?  

Sully

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Why run them serialized at all  :)

Stiva
Level 4
Thank you all for your comments.. Actually all are dfsr backups when I am trying execute at a time then they are failing with error code 69. I reffered the technote from symentic and implemented by changing the schedule of policies then also when two policies clashes while running one of the policy use to fail with error code 69. @Marianne : I was implemented the idea suggested by u but was not successful.. I will try it again and posted you all..:-)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From my own experience you should  run no more than two concurrent backup streams from a DFS-R area. Running more stream will cause all sort of failures.

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us your policies (bppllist <policy-name> -U) and tell us which technote you are referring to?

This TN explains backup options of DFSR:

Backup and Restore of Microsoft DFSR data using Symantec NetBackup 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638 

Stiva
Level 4

Thank you all. Issue is resolved now. I implemented the idea suggested by Marianne. Daily backups are working fine. I have to keep eye on Weekly full backup. :)