cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract backup data from 7.0 NB to 7.6 NB

nbmagic
Level 4

I have two NB environments, with different version. Now I need to extract backup data from 7.0NB directly into 7.6NB, both are NFS based.

Are there any commands / tools allow me to do that?
If yes, any requirements to integrate both environments together, and what steps are?

Thanks for your sharing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1a) Create an NFS export somewhere, e.g. named "nbuxferA"

1b) Create an NFS export somewhere, e.g. named "nbuxferB"

2) Mount "nbuxferA" on masterA (7.0)

3) Mount "nbuxferB" on masterB (7.6)

4) On masterA create a Basic Disk storage unit pointing to the mounted export nbuxferA

5) On masterB create a Basic Disk storage unit pointing to the mounted export nbuxferB

6a) On masterA duplicate an image to stu-masterA-nbuxferA

6b) Manually copy (not move) the files from "nbuxferA" to "nbuxferB"

7a) On masterB do a phase 1 import of backup images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB

7b) On masterB do a phase 2 import of backup images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB

8) On masterB duplicate the images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB to some other storage unit

9) On masterA expire the "copy number" of the copy of the image on stu-masterA-nbuxferA

10) On masterB expire the "copy number" of the copy of the image on stu-masterB-nbuxferB

Warning:  Do NOT be writing and reading at the same time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo

Warning 2:  One direction only, from lower NetBackup version to higher NetBackup version.  Do NOT attempt to reverse the process.

nbmagic
Level 4

Please bear with me, I need to make sure I understand you first, and have following questions:

First about  Step 6) and step7)

What is the command / process to "duplicate" an image that I need to "stu-masterA-nbuxfer"? what is the difference between "duplicate" and "export", or are they the same?

Are you saying to mount the same NFS FS onto two diffrent servers, MasterA and MasterB, then do the dulicate and then import in two different time?

Basically, I need to selectively extract some backups from old environment to the new environmet

Thank you!

sdo

1a) Create an NFS export somewhere, e.g. named "nbuxferA"

1b) Create an NFS export somewhere, e.g. named "nbuxferB"

2) Mount "nbuxferA" on masterA (7.0)

3) Mount "nbuxferB" on masterB (7.6)

4) On masterA create a Basic Disk storage unit pointing to the mounted export nbuxferA

5) On masterB create a Basic Disk storage unit pointing to the mounted export nbuxferB

6a) On masterA duplicate an image to stu-masterA-nbuxferA

6b) Manually copy (not move) the files from "nbuxferA" to "nbuxferB"

7a) On masterB do a phase 1 import of backup images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB

7b) On masterB do a phase 2 import of backup images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB

8) On masterB duplicate the images from stu-masterB-nbuxferB to some other storage unit

9) On masterA expire the "copy number" of the copy of the image on stu-masterA-nbuxferA

10) On masterB expire the "copy number" of the copy of the image on stu-masterB-nbuxferB

Warning:  Do NOT be writing and reading at the same time.

sdo

Q1) What is the command / process to "duplicate" an image that I need to "stu-masterA-nbuxfer"? what is the difference between "duplicate" and "export", or are they the same?

A1) You could use the "bpduplicate" command, but if you only have a few images to migrate then it might be simpler to use the GUI - on both sides... on side "A" for the duplicate, and on side "B for the import followed by the duplication.  NetBackup doesn't have an "export" function.

Q2) Are you saying to mount the same NFS FS onto two diffrent servers, MasterA and MasterB, then do the dulicate and then import in two different time?

A2) Great question - which has made me realise, that if masterA expires an image then masterB catalog will be refering to something that no longer exists, which is not good.  So, I have updated the procedure above to use two exports and to use a manual copy between the two NFS areas.  Have another look and come back with additional questions if required.

Re timing:   My advice would be do work it in a "set" or "sets", i.e. for however many backup images... work through the whole process before starting the next batch - i.e. so that at the start of the procedure both exports are empty - i.e. do not start a batch of images whilst another batch of images are already underway through the process.

Q3) Basically, I need to selectively extract some backups from old environment to the new environment.

A3) The above process will help you achieve this.  Essentially it duplicates the backup images.  If you want the old masterA to forget the duplicated images then add a step 11 to finally remove the backup images from masterA from whatever storage it the original copy is still residing upon.

NB - step 7 is actually two steps - I've split it in to 7a) and 7b).

Warning 3:  If you are not familiar with the concept of multiple "copies" of backups (images) on different storage units, then you need to either read some manuals and/or tech notes, or search this forum for topics related to multiple copies, or practice a bit with one or more backups that you are willing to loose if you get the above process wrong.  What I mean is that... my very brief process assumes a certain level of understanding of NetBackup, and so if this is your first time with manually duplicating backup images to create multiple copies in multiple disparate masters/catalogs, then do not do your first few/couple of test iterations with important backup data.

If you have enough disk space on your NFS server, then you may be able to do it all on only a few iterations.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Without a deep understanding of NetBackup internals, I DO NOT recommend trying this on your own.

If you are only using NFS-based storage as Basic Disk, with no other types of storage - Advanced or OST disk, Dedupe, Tapes, multiple media servers in both environments, then DIY may be possible, but NO DIY 'direct transfer'.

Veritas have developed tools that can perform 'direct transfer' (catalog merge), but only a select number of Partner resources have received certified training in using these tools.
You will understand that each environment is different, therefore there can never be a toolset made available publicly.

Please see this TN: 

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000026956

nbmagic
Level 4

I am more clear now, but not so completely yet, please stay with me for a little longer.

Following is some additional questions:

>>6b) Manually copy (not move) the files from "nbuxferA" to "nbuxferB".
Are you referring to an Unix copy command here? ex, to use "cp" command to copy image from NFS export "nbuxferA" to "nbuxferB"? To make sure I understand you, why couldnot I use move, if I no longer need the image on "nbuxferA" ?

Is there any way to directly transfer backup data from one NB environment (MasterA) to the other (MasterB) without creating (duplicating) intermediate images first?
I heard TSM could do that, of cause, this is not TSM forum, but based on your experience/knowlege, would that be all possible at all with any backup software?

Thank you!

sdo

1a) Yes.

1b) Yes.

1c) You cannot use move because you need to later expire the copy on storage unit stu-masterA-nbuxferA.  i.e. you cannot make "backup data" disappear from NetBackup, because NetBackup has to manage the expiring and removal.   If you manually move/delete backup images without NetBackup knowing then the catalog could get in a mess with orphanned image headers which point to backup storage that no longer exists.

2a) There could be several methods available to you.  But without a detailed description of the NetBackup configuration of both environments, i.e. storage unit topology and storage unit connectivity and storage unit device types... then it is not possible for anyone to comment because we have no visibility of your NetBackup infrastructure.  If you were willing to supply exact OS versions and NetBackup versions of all master or master/media or media servers, and the storage unit details, then one of us might have been, and still might be, able to comment on other possible alternative backup data migration options.

2b) Maybe TSM can duplicate NetBackup images across low to higher (recent) NetBackup versions, but I've never heard of that.