cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find when a media was inserted into library.

RXZrider
Level 3

Hi Experts,

My weekly backups failed due to no media available. But when i checked today there was media in respective volume pools. These tapes has no Time assigned listed in media console and i need to know when these tapes were inserted into the library.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you could try querying emm to see if reports the update:

vxlogview -o 111 -t 72:00:00 >c:\emm.txt

As you need to go back a long way (the above is for 72 hours) it will create a very log large file though - so if you can pin it down to between time it would be better - the below is from 9am on 25th to 9am 27th - though if your date format on the server is different you need to swap them round (25/01/2014 09:00:00):

vxlogview -o 111 -b 01/25/2014 09:00:00 -e 01/27/2014 09:00:00

It may log the update in EMM when the tapes were added

You should also check that the tapes are the correct denisty (HCART / HCART2 etc.) and that they are not frozen or suspended as that could also cause the issue.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will need Media Manager logs on the robot control host:

If I remember correctly, I used to see evidence of Inventory/new media in reqlib log.

Create debug log folder under <install-path>\veritas\volmgr and then reqlib folder under debug.

Add VERBOSE to <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf and restart NBU Device management service to enable logging..

Best to be proactive:

• Keep an eye on Tape Summary report (with verbose option selected) to seen when tapes will expire. Bear in mind that Image Cleanup only runs every 12 hours. This means that tapes will not be immediately available after expiration date/time - only after next Image Cleanup.
  • Use available_media script on a daily basis.
    Run from cmd and save to a text file.
    (Script is in <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\goodies)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you could try querying emm to see if reports the update:

vxlogview -o 111 -t 72:00:00 >c:\emm.txt

As you need to go back a long way (the above is for 72 hours) it will create a very log large file though - so if you can pin it down to between time it would be better - the below is from 9am on 25th to 9am 27th - though if your date format on the server is different you need to swap them round (25/01/2014 09:00:00):

vxlogview -o 111 -b 01/25/2014 09:00:00 -e 01/27/2014 09:00:00

It may log the update in EMM when the tapes were added

You should also check that the tapes are the correct denisty (HCART / HCART2 etc.) and that they are not frozen or suspended as that could also cause the issue.

Hope this helps