cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix accidentally running bpnbaz -SetupClient against master

TROE
Level 4

I just had a situation where I accidentally ran bpnbaz -SetupClient masterservername when I meant to run bpnbaz -SetupClient clientname.  Ooops.  It failed, but it still caused me instant pain.  I had to set USE_VXSS to PROHIBITED in the registry to get back into my master server and get it running.  Restarting the services didn't help with USE_VXSS set to AUTOMATIC - soon after starting, bprd would crash.

I tried running bpnbaz -setupmaster, but that didn't fix the problem.  While working with Tech Support, I remembered a situation I'd run into in the past where a server had spurious entries in the hosts file and that was causing problems, so I tracked down my notes about that case and went spelunking.  Here's what I discovered:

The master server is running Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 and NetBackup 7.0.1.  I used the "NBAC Windows Quick Install Non HA" process to configure NBAC on the master server, media servers, and client machines.  All servers involved are in the same domain.  Based on advice given me at some point, when I installed NBU on the master server I specified the master server name and EMM server name as the hostname, not the fully-qualified domain name (i.e. servername, not servername.domain.com).

When I ran "bpnbaz -setupmaster", it created the machine credential in "<path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\VxSS\credentials\masterservername".  I suspect it uses the master server name specified during the installation of the master server, so if you specified the short name, that's what it uses here. 

When I ran "bpnbaz -SetupClient clientname", even though the domain name wasn't specified, it created the machine credential in "<path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\VxSS\credentials\clientname.domain.com".  I verified this behavior by looking at a number of client machines.

However, it appears that the authentication for bprd tries to use hostname.domain.com first and then falls back to hostname.  Since it's trying to use client credentials instead of master server credentials, problems ensue!  Removing the masterservername.domain.com from the var\VxSS\credentials directory fixed the problem.

--Toby Ovod-Everett

0 REPLIES 0