cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force restoration for only using 1 drive?

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

I need to restore a quite big database, for that particular media server we only have 3 drives. Everytime I restored, the restoration was using 2 drives, because it took quite long, our duplication process has to wait (overnight) which cannot be accepted, also the other backup run slower because only less drive.

Is there anyway that I can force the restore will only use 1 drive?

Regards,

Iwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if that is the case... just Trigger one restore job at a  time... 

one job only takes One Drive only.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Change the density of the drive to something different - eg if drive is hcart, change to hcart2

Change the density of the media that holds the backups to hcart2

vmchange -new_mt hcart2 -m <media id>

To change drive density x2 drive in GUI and select new density type.  Need to restart ltid (/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid then ltid -v )

Martin

jim_dalton
Level 6

This being a db restore , which db and how are both  the backup and restore implemented? I have a feeling there might be a template or script eg for SAP theres a numdrives entry for the backup and I think the same param file is used for restores so it could be controlled from there. That could be the place to start.

Jim

RamNagalla

correct..

ask the Data base team not to start more than one restore channel.

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

Thanks for the response. This is the DB data (Oracle) but not backup using the agent (using script) so when it is restored , it is only like file system restoration.

Regards,

Iwan Tamimi

RamNagalla

if that is the case... just Trigger one restore job at a  time... 

one job only takes One Drive only.

jim_dalton
Level 6

I'm wondering why we get asked these questions...self-inflicted pain! Gotta be some points for nagalla and/or me I reckon!