cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include/exclude files in a range, using wildcards and brackets in 7.X

Prolonging_The_
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17539

The above article says that you can't use the brackets for 7.x.  I am running 7.0.1 and I want to carve up a 1TB backup job into multiple data streams.  The directory has folders that change in it, so using the brackets and wild cards would work perfectally.  I tried it and like the above article says it returns a 71 error.  Is there a replcacement for the brackets in 7.x? 

All Netbackup servers are Windows Server 2008 R2(one master two media), the file server that I am trying to backup is Server 2003.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

New_Stream

C:\0*

C:\1*

C:\2*

etc....

New_Stream

C:\a*

C:\b*

etc...

New_Stream

C:\p*

c:\q*

etc...

takes a while to type it all in.

and you have to make sure that each group in the new_stream has at least 1 dir that is really there.

and you can move them around to try to make each new_stream about the same size.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Files list:
C:\Users\*

Exclude list:
C:\Users\*

Include list:
C:\Users\[a-dA-D]*

***EDIT***

Or maybe not! Just thinking about that again, you'd have to create separate policies/schedules for each stream crying

Prolonging_The_
Level 3

I tried using the backets with just one selections and got the 71 error like is says below.  I was wondering if there was a replacement for the bracket going forward, or if there was something broke in 7.

Wildcard usage for Windows clients in NetBackup 6.5 and 7.0 documentation. Manuals contradict themselves regarding the usage of square brackets [ ] wildcard option

NetBackup 7.1 documentation now states:-

Brackets used as wildcards in include and exclude lists:
UNIX clients: Allowed
Windows clients: Allowed
Brackets used as wildcards in policy backup selections lists:
UNIX clients: Allowed
Windows clients: Not allowed; the use of brackets in policy backup selections
lists causes backups to fail with a status 71

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

New_Stream

C:\0*

C:\1*

C:\2*

etc....

New_Stream

C:\a*

C:\b*

etc...

New_Stream

C:\p*

c:\q*

etc...

takes a while to type it all in.

and you have to make sure that each group in the new_stream has at least 1 dir that is really there.

and you can move them around to try to make each new_stream about the same size.

Prolonging_The_
Level 3

Thanks, that might work.  I will give it a try, and let you know.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

but you'll have a lot of entries in your backup selection (26*2 + 10 + n*NEW_STREAM)   !!! (unless it's case insensitive?)

Did you try the method I "half" suggested? The [] are supposed to be ok in include/exclude lists but you will need as many policies as you want streams - was thinking on way home & that's what we had to do a while back for a similar situation (altho' was for NDMP) - we changed it eventually by creating an NFS mount on our Solaris master which meant we could then use the [].

Prolonging_The_
Level 3

Here is what worked for me

New_Stream

c:\XXX*

New_Stream

c:\XXY*

I only need to devided it up into 8 parts so it is not bad at all.

Thanks for alll the suggestions.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have a number of servers I have done this with - well on Windows servers only - and it works fine. (never had to do this on unix)

by doing each letter, I can move them around some times when one group gets really big and one small, I can just move that letter to a different new_stream section, or make a new new_stream section in the backup selection.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you said "only needed to divided it up into 8"

this is based on what is out there NOW - what happens if they add more dirs that are NOT included in your selection?

That is why I added all numbers and letters.