cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase retention

purdue
Level 3

We have a job that we ran about a month ago, and it's suppose to expire soon. How can I increase the retention to another month so it doesn't expire soon? We are running Netbackup 7.5.0.4. The job is on a tape if that matter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Use the bpexpdate command (page 139 of the NBU 7.5 Command Reference Guide) to change the expiration date of the backup image:

bpexpdate -m media-id -d 02/28/2013 23:59:59

This will change the expiration date of all images on the media ID specified to the date above.   

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Use the bpexpdate command (page 139 of the NBU 7.5 Command Reference Guide) to change the expiration date of the backup image:

bpexpdate -m media-id -d 02/28/2013 23:59:59

This will change the expiration date of all images on the media ID specified to the date above.   

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

another way  is if you are specifically know about the backup ID that you want to extent, you can only extend that particular image.

this would be better way if your media have the Images of Multiple retentions or it has another images which would expire after one month.

bpexpdate -recaulcate -backupid <backupid> -d mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss

this only extend the retention of specific image.not all the images in the media.

mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss --> is the desired date that you would like to keep the image avaliable.

hope this helps.

purdue
Level 3

thank you for the replys. The tape command did work. When I tried using bpexpdate -recaulcate -backupid <backupid> -d mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss it didn't work for me. Can you please tell me -backupid is the same thing as job id? This time I'm trying to increase the retention on the Disk backup.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

backupid is not the same as jobid.

The backupid will look like this :

<clilent name>_<ctime>

Where ctime is a 10 digit number.

FYI the ctime can be converted to a readable form

bpdbm -ctime <ctime>

The ctime is useful (in many ways) but one is that for backups taken on a single master, there can only every be one backup id with a particular ctime - it is unique.

The ctime is the number of sconds since midnight 1st Jan 1970 (UTC time), therefore, as NBU can only ever start one back per second, it has to be unique.  Note.  Now that we have 'AIR' you can have two backupids with the same ctime, but these must have been made on different servers.

Martin

nesel
Level 4

Hi Purdue,

Would like to comment on the command you use, please double check it >> it should be -recalculate

"thank you for the replys. The tape command did work. When I tried using bpexpdate -recaulcate -backupid <backupid> -d mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss it didn't work for me. Can you please tell me -backupid is the same thing as job id? This time I'm trying to increase the retention on the Disk backup."

Please let us know the result.

Thanks,

Nesel

Will_Restore
Level 6

good catch on the 'typo'

purdue
Level 3

I think  I got the solution. Thank you for your help.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please select the post that has helped you and Mark as Solution.

It will reward the forum member with some points and also help other users with similar queries...