cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know what is next Tape for next backup schedule ???

XTK
Level 3

Hi All

I want config 01 schedules for 31 Tape for backup incremental daily and 01 schedules for 12 Tape for backup monthly.

My question:

Can you please give me instruction to config for this requirement. When I tried to config and I got an error when job run

"An operation was requested on a media ID that is in use. An example of this operation is the attempt to suspend or freeze a volume while it is in use for a backup or restore. Status 97: requested media ID is in use, cannot process request "

How can I know what is tape for next backup schedule?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@XTK wrote:

Honestly, this is my customer system. I am onsite to provide support services and Netbackup with Standalone drive include support contract services.

I am a bit shocked to see that you are managing a customer's system without sufficient product knowledge...
You should have official training and certification plus some hands-on experience under the leadership of an experienced NetBackup administrator before you should attempt this on your own.

Please open the 'Handy NBU links' in my signature and navigate to the documentation page for your NBU version. 
Download as a minimum NBU Admin Guide I and II and start reading... please.... 

Finally, I want what settings decide time assigned. What happens when all my media have "Time assigned"? is the backup job can not run?

Thanks

I have previously recommended that you run available_media command. Have you done this? 
Any 'Assigned' tape that is not yet full can be appended to by a new backup job that has the same retention level and same pool. 
The problem with standalone tape is that you actually need to sit on site and manually do the work that a robot would've done.
If all tapes are 'Assigned', you can take a chance and have a look at all jobs that are due - see what their retention level and pool name is. Then choose a non-full tape from available_media that matches the criteria and load it in the drive. 
NBU will then append to the tape. 
If NBU for some reason believes that the mounted tape does not fit the requirements, it will generate a 'Pending Request' for a suitable tape. You will need to be onsite to eject the tape in the drive and mount the media-id that NBU is requesting. 
Same goes for a tape that is being appended to gets FULL. 
Someone needs to be onsite to mount another tape.

There are also reports in the GUI that will help you with media management and planning:
Tape written report can be run every morning to see how much data was written and what the expiry date is. 
Tape summary report (with Verbose option selected) will tell you when backups will expire on each media id. On this date the tape will be 'de-assigned' during Image Cleanup job. 
When a tape is deassigned, it can be overwritten from the start. 

Whatever you do, NEVER expire a customer's backup without written concent. 
Retention levels are there for a reason - your customer need those tapes to restore from until the backups naturally expires. 

Lastly - 
As a service provider, you should be seen as a 'trusted advisor' to the customer. 
This means that you have the confidence to make recommendations to make NetBackup function the way it is intended to - automatic and without manual tape intervention, using a tape library (robot).