cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to limit the load on a client when doing backup

Supergoof
Level 4
Hello

Is there a way to limit the resources used by the NetBackup client when doing backups?
I have a client running a webmail website that doesn't respond to requests when the backup runs.

Regards
Supergoof
5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
If so, you could switch it off or set maximum number of jobs per client to one?

Would limiting bandwidth to this client be beneficial?

About the Maximum jobs per client property

About the Bandwidth properties

stu52
Level 5

There are occasions when the switch is set incorrectly from the NIC on the server.  Be sure that both are set properly or you will have a slow connection for everything.  Some servers can't handle autonegotiate properly and it needs to be set to FULL duplex on both the switch and the server.

You might also consider adding multiple ethernet connections to that system OR installing a separate connection just for backups.

Supergoof
Level 4
Hello

Multi-streaming is enabled on the policy the client is a member of. I have thought of bandwidth limiting as well but it doesnt seem like a nice option. I think that it is the VSS/VSP that uses most resources.

The NIC and switch is set to 100MPS FULL no negotiation done.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"switch off" the WOFB for this client? Or are you likely to get a lot of Status Code 1's?

If the policy is set to multi-stream (presumably it includes other clients also) what about lilmiting the maximum number of concurrent backup jobs for this client? i.e. set it so that it will only run one job at a time. You'll still get different jobs for each drive/path but they won't run concurrently.

Supergoof
Level 4
The problem with this client was that there was a debug logfile on app. 2 GB. The snapshot process would lock this file to get a consistent snapshot, while the application was trying to write to the file. I suppose that the application didn't like this much as it broke down while the snapshot was beeing written.

The extensive debug logging was disabled and the application was stable again during backups.

Thanks for you help guys.