cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a faster upgrade netbackup from 7.6 to 8.1 in a new server?

Gadit
Level 3

Good morning.

I have a question.

We currently have Netbackup 7.6.0.3 running on Solaris 10 as a Master Server, and we have to migrate into Solaris 11 and install Netbackup 8.1 in the new server.

Reading  forums and documentation, I know we have to migrate the catalog from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11 of the current server to the new server, and then upgrade from 7.6.0.3 to 8.1

That is, you must install Netbackup 7.6.0.3 on Solaris 11, then perform the Upgrade.

Making tests of the catalog migration we see that it takes more than 4 hours in the import and 6 hours in the export.

10 hours only to migrate the catalog plus the time of the upgrade of the Netbackup versions from 7.6 to 8.1

It's a lost day of backup.

The question is, is there a procedure that is faster and safer to perform the whole process?

We use a critical data and is it is necessary to perform backup everyday.

thanks for any help! 
3 REPLIES 3

sclind
   VIP   

So you are moving to a new Netbackup master; not just upgrading the OS on the current server?

If so I dont think you can run the risk of doing anything but the supported path.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is a way to achieve it with potentially less downtime and surely less hops by moving straight from source to a new target environment using the NBU catalog manipulation tools. I've done this a few times where the downtime required by multiple migrations and associated risks were not acceptable. However, this requires a consulting engagement through a certified third-party and will cost a bit.

For a free and DIY solution stick to the official supported migration route.

Genericus
   VIP   

I am on solaris, and I went from 7.6 to 8.0 on my old Solaris 10 master, then migrated to the new Solaris 11 server.

So I broke it into two steps, upgrading to 8.X was pretty clean. Moving to Solaris 11 took longer.

My /usr/openv is SAN storage on flash disk, and normally I can just unmount and remount on the new master, but we wanted a fresh install on Solaris 11. And it DID take a long time to do a catalog backup and restore.

I NFS mounted some space from the new server to the old server and did my catalog backup to disk, and was able to do the catalog restore locally on the new system - it STILL took a long time.

My compressed catalog is almost a TB - how big is yours? I started my process at 0800 and completed at 1700, but that included resolving drive and storage issues from moving the master. It was about 3 hours for the backup and the same for the restore.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS