Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make disk2disk2tape policy on NBU 6.5.2

unixlife
Level 4
Partner
Hello NBU Gurus,
Please let me know what is the best policy for disk2disk2tape. I have Solaris 10 SPARC server with STK 2540 storage and LTO3 (400/800GB) single tape unit. My data size is less than 500GB. Is synthetic backup is best or just Sunday full and other days incremental in enough? I also need to back the whole data to tape daily for data relocation to DR site. Please help...
4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_B
Level 4
I think how I'd set this up depends on what your environement looks like, and your hard and fast requirements.

We haven't experimented with synthetic very much, we've been just fine with weekly full and daily incrementals. Fulls to us are the most important so we don't even bother sending incrementals off.

First of all, do you have a lot of change? If so, then Veritas points out that synthetics won't really help you that much.  

Are you hard and fast on putting the data to tape daily?  If for instance you could send the data to the DR site weekly, you could run your full, then your week's worth of incrementals to your disk, then the day before you're supposed to ship it to the DR site, go ahead and run the synthetic schedule, duplicate that synthetic full, send it off, run your incrementals to disk through the week, rince, repeat.  You have your copy on disk for quick restore, have your copy offsite, everyone is happy.  If I could only send offsite once a week, that is what I'd do in your case if the change is low.

You could still do the synthetic thing with a daily vault. Just just send the synthetic off in place of the weekly run full.  If the change wasn't too high, that is probably your best bet if you have the processing time and power on the server to make the synthetics every week from the disk, just to help save the disk and time on the client, you won't save a lot of money on tapes though, as you're still sending the full tape off weekly.

If your change is high, I'd probably go with whichever is less for you, daily fulls, or weekly full with daily differential incrementals.

unixlife
Level 4
Partner
Thank you very much for your reply,. The daily rate of change of data is about 1GB only. So I decided to go for dail incr / weekly full scenario. Then move the weekly tape to off-site. Is there any way to make a copy of the weekly backup tape to another tape and take it off from STK c2 library, so that I have one local and one remote tapes? Do you have any information about remote copy using NB? I also have DR site and I want to replicate the local file systems to a remote DR server instantly. Is possible? rather than remote backup? Thanks...

unixlife
Level 4
Partner
Thank you very much for your reply,. The daily rate of change of data is about 1GB only. So I decided to go for dail incr / weekly full scenario. Then move the weekly tape to off-site. Is there any way to make a copy of the weekly backup tape to another tape and take it off from STK c2 library, so that I have one local and one remote tapes? Do you have any information about remote copy using NB? I also have DR site and I want to replicate the local file systems to a remote DR server instantly. Is it possible? rather than remote backup? Thanks...

unixlife
Level 4
Partner
I found the best solution "NB RealTime"