cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put internal label on tapes without barcodes in a robotic library

Susan_K_
Not applicable
Hello, I'm trying to internally label some tapes that don't have barcodes on them. They are in a StorageTek robotic library (which is /dev/rmt/0). I'm running NB 6.5 on Solaris 10. I've tried using robtest to move a tape into the drive and then bplabel, but that doesn't work; I've tried running an inventory to let NetBackup apply it's default labels to it (A0000, etc) and then tpreq to try to pull them into the robot and bplabel them, but the tpreq process hangs onto the tape, and when I cancel it the bplabel fails again... I know someone out there's done this and it's not as hard as I seem to be making it... help! Thanks :) Susan K.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did robtest actually work when you used it to move the tape into the drive?

Most StorageTek libraries will not mount tapes without labels. This is because these libraries support more than one drive type. It needs to read the media type on the label to enusre that the media matches the drive type.

Why do you want to use unlabelled tapes in a robot with a barcode reader? Not having barcodes just causes uneccessary headaches...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

go to Media and Device Management, Media

right-click New Volumes

checkbox "Volume is in a robotic library"

fill in all the required information

put the tape in the correct slot

now you should be able to bplabel the tape

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did robtest actually work when you used it to move the tape into the drive?

Most StorageTek libraries will not mount tapes without labels. This is because these libraries support more than one drive type. It needs to read the media type on the label to enusre that the media matches the drive type.

Why do you want to use unlabelled tapes in a robot with a barcode reader? Not having barcodes just causes uneccessary headaches...