cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put the new tape to the correct Volume Group?

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi all,

I have tape library consist of LTO4 and LTO5, with the following coniguration:

Media Type               Volume Group

HCART (LTO4)          003_00003_TLD

HCART2 (LTO5)        001_00003_TLD

Then I add several LTO5 tape directly by opening the TapeLibrary (I shutdown the media server that control the robot and shutdown the TL) then after that I brought it up and I did some inventory. As usual the new LTO5 tapes Media Type  became HCART and go to Volume Group: 003_00003_LTD.

I can change the the media type easily by using this command:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -new_mt HCART2 -m 600200

But how can I change the Volume Group to 001_00003_TLD? I tried using GUI but the error said its a "media type and volume group mismatch". Any sugestion? I can redo the whole thing if needed since the tapes not in use yet. (the Netbackup is version 7.5.0.4)

Thank you.

Iwan Tamimi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to add Barcode Rules to ensure that LTO5 media will be added as HCART2.

This will ensure that they are automatically added to correct volume group.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi 

Volumes group is based on the Robot number and media type.

all the tapes in a volume Group should have the same robot number and media type.

you can not keep the different robot control tapes and differnt density tapes in same volume group.

if below is the standard that you want to follow.

Media Type               Volume Group

HCART (LTO4)          003_00003_TLD

HCART2 (LTO5)        001_00003_TLD

you need to make sure that when you do the inventory  LTO 5 tapes are getting the density as HCART2 by using the barcode rules.

and 001_00003_TLD should not have anyother tapes expect HCART2  with same robot number.

001_00003_TLD is alreay having the other denisty tapes, you can not add HCART2 tapes.

in simple, robot number and denisty of tape in a single volume Group should be unique.

Marianne

Volume groups are assigned automatically based on robot number and density.

Please read About volume groups section in NBU Admin Guide I:

Best to leave NBU to do this automatically.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yep, just leave it, the volume group is 'meaningless' in the operation of NBU, by that I mean, NBU uses it, but the admins don't as such.  As long as tapes go into the correct volume pool, then that is all that matters.

Martin

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Thanks for the support

Nagalla, looks like maybe the barcode rule is the answer. Thanks

Marianne, i will look at again at them manul you mentioned, thanks

Martin, I think you are right it doesn't really mean anything for the backup but we have a script that check how many scratch tape left on each volume group so if it is mixed up it is difficult to know which one is left, lto4 or lto5?

Thank you All

Marianne

You need to add Barcode Rules to ensure that LTO5 media will be added as HCART2.

This will ensure that they are automatically added to correct volume group.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Then I add several LTO5 tape directly by opening the TapeLibrary (I shutdown the media server that control the robot and shutdown the TL) then after that I brought it up and I did some inventory.

Can I ask why? Does your library not have a media access port (MAP or CAP) where media can be inserted whilst the library is still actively up & running?

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Andy:  Yes it does have, but since I need to add lots of tape then I thought opening and put the tape is easier. 

Marrianne, Yes  explored about the Barcode Rule as you sugested , I think it solved my problem. I created a barcode rule using Barcode Tag 2 (our LTO5 tape barcode numer is like 6xxxxx) will go to HCART2. I deleted the tapes I just put, then inventory again , voila it goes to the new volume group , then I moved the one in old lto5 volume group to this volume group. Solved my problem, Thank you 

Regards, 

Iwan Tamimi