Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read LTO3 tapes with LTO4 or LTO5 media

Andres-Satelite
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I need to read and restore information from LTO3 tapes using LTO4 or LTO5. Is this possible?? The netbackup version is 7.0.1

Please help me with this, I cannot find specific information about this.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
All Netbackup cares about is the type. HCART, HCART2 etc. As long as the tapes and the drives match Netbackup will use the drive to read the tapes, as long as the tape drives are capable.

View solution in original post

Born2rise
Level 4

Hey Andres,

You can perform the restore from both LTO4 and LTO5 drives as they are compatible to read the data from 2 generantion back tape.

So LTO5 drive can read data from LTO4 and LTO3 tapes

And LTO4 drive can read data from LTO3 and LTO2 tapes.

You need to change the density of the tapes which is supposed to be used during restore.

For example, to perform restore from LTO5 drive, change the density of LTO3 tape to HCART2.

And to perform restore from LTO4 drive, change the density of LTO3 tape to HCART.

I am assuming you set the Tape drive density of LTO5 to HCART2 and for LTO4 to HCART.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
All Netbackup cares about is the type. HCART, HCART2 etc. As long as the tapes and the drives match Netbackup will use the drive to read the tapes, as long as the tape drives are capable.

Born2rise
Level 4

Hey Andres,

You can perform the restore from both LTO4 and LTO5 drives as they are compatible to read the data from 2 generantion back tape.

So LTO5 drive can read data from LTO4 and LTO3 tapes

And LTO4 drive can read data from LTO3 and LTO2 tapes.

You need to change the density of the tapes which is supposed to be used during restore.

For example, to perform restore from LTO5 drive, change the density of LTO3 tape to HCART2.

And to perform restore from LTO4 drive, change the density of LTO3 tape to HCART.

I am assuming you set the Tape drive density of LTO5 to HCART2 and for LTO4 to HCART.