cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read an archive tape?

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3

Netbackup 6.5

I have a six tape collection that makes up an archive of a large file collect which we took offline over a year ago.  I need to restore some files from this archive.

The tapes are no longer listed in the catalog.  How the heck to you force the system to pull them back in?  There doesn't seem to be any option to scan the contents of the tapes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Look at the 'Import' section in the Catalog chapter of Admin Guide I:

AdminGuide I Windows:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290203.pdf
Admin Guide I for UNIX and Linux:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290201.pdf

The 1st phase of the import scan the tapes for image header info (do this for ALL tapes before starting phase 2). Phase 2 builds the file info and takes time  - at least as long as the backups took....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

Look at the 'Import' section in the Catalog chapter of Admin Guide I:

AdminGuide I Windows:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290203.pdf
Admin Guide I for UNIX and Linux:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290201.pdf

The 1st phase of the import scan the tapes for image header info (do this for ALL tapes before starting phase 2). Phase 2 builds the file info and takes time  - at least as long as the backups took....

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3

Hmmm... I get an error status 23, and the Media Server slot is "blank" ... in spite of the fact that this system is its own media server (and has been fully functional for years).

If I enter the hostname into the Media Server spot and the tape ID number into the media spot, I get the following error:

database system error DSM is unable to connect to the DB, issue: connect

Activity monitor shows all Daemons and Processes as green.

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3

The DB error was caused by the /opt/openv partition being at 97%.  I cleared out some log files and the import appears to be running.

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3
After a couple of hours, the job was still at "requesting resource M00331", where M00331 is the label visible in the Media list as present in slot five of the tape library.  It does not seem to be moving beyond this stage.

When I killed and restarted the Import, error status 23 was still present and the Media Server field was still blank.

After an /etc/init.d/netbackup stop / start cycle, the status 23 is gone, the system remembered that it is a media manager, it allowed me to start an import without a complaint, received a tape drive as a resource and is mounting the tape.

Marianne

Keep a close eye on disk usage - disk full condition can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful behaviour.... The status 23 could've caused an orphaned resource allocation and was probably cleared by the stop/start of NBU daemons.