cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover tapes from a failed job

Bluesea
Level 3
I have several large jobs failed in the middle and lots of tape used. Netbackup is still keeping the time assigned on those tapes not releasing for reuse? Is there any way to recover those tapes from the failed jobs to reuse?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Amit_Karia
Level 6

which verion of nbu you are using what is version of your netbackup

use

nbrbutil -dump it may release tapes

Bluesea
Level 3
NetBackup version is: nbu5.1mp4

rookie11
   VIP   
first of all find out the tapes u want to use
go to media left side then on top tool bar find then put the media name

quick erase then put it to scratch pool

alazanowski
Level 5
If you know what tapes they are, you can run under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS and it will set its expiration to that date. I recommend this way instead of quick erase because of the potential chance of going "oops." At least this way, it can expire, but you can theoretically re-import before it gets used again if you made a mistake.

Sriram
Level 6

It is more safer to expire the images in the media for that job always as best practice.

If you are sure the tape contains only the data of the failed jobs then you can expire the entire media as said by  "Outbacker"

Use bpimmedia command to list all the images in the tape used for backup.

Check the images which you want to expire

Use bpexpdate -backupid <image name> -d 0, which will expire the image immediately

Now if you rerun the job it will reuse the tape

If you want to expire the tape itself use "bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0" which will expire the entire tape and all its images immediately.

Now the tape will be moved to scratch and the tape will not be listed if you run bpmedialist -summary.

Now you can resuse the tape again.

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup will automatically expire the image upon failure. The tapes will not immediately be available for reuse. When image cleanup is run then the tapes will be deassigned and made available. If you want them available immediately then you simply run

bpexpdate -deassignempty

Bluesea
Level 3
Hi Bob

Thanks for the comment. Who and when image cleanup runs? Or we need to run it always manually? Is there any possibility of deassigning the tapes w/ valid images?

thanks

Amit_Karia
Level 6
netbackup intiates image cleanup by
Following command will initiate manual image clean up..

bpimage -cleanup -allclients

alazanowski
Level 5
Image cleanup should occur automatically too if setup in the master settings to occur when no other jobs are running. However, you can run the manual cleanup as well if you're an environment that is always constantly writing. I do believe that they suggest "not" to do this for ideas that it may corrupt catalogs. I however have never experienced this.