cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remotely running netbackup command on another pc or server

Johnny_mnemonic
Level 4
Hi,

May i know is there any way to run netbackup command such as bperror, bpimagelist, bpdbjobs, etc from another windows server or pc that is not install with any netbackup software.

My master server is running on windows 2003.

Hope to hear from all soon.
13 REPLIES 13

Stumpr2
Level 6
Only can run if remotely login to master.
Sometimes if netbackup media server install,  then can run with -m mastername

Johnny_mnemonic
Level 4
May i know what you mean by sometimes work when install with media server? DOes it mean it wont work everytime?

Whenu say login remotely..does it mean either remote access through rdp, pcanywhere, etc?

So there is totally no way to run the command remotely by copying the execu. to another pc or server? Thanks

Jim-m
Level 5
It can be done but its messy

On the master or a media server install cygwin make sure you include ssh - a free unix interface for windows, it also has to be on the box you want to run the commands on.    Now you can pretend you are in Unix land

Search the web on how to use ssh to send remote commands to another server.    This has some hints
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-satdistadmin/
This is incomplete but enough to get you started. SSH can set up to run remote commands without passwords, you send the correct "command key" and it does it by autmoagic. Hunt the web for "ssh remote commands".

Johnny_mnemonic
Level 4
so other than that messy way...there is no symantec documented steps on how to remote run the command?

If that is the case, i will try out and see how messy is that. Thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6

Johnny mnemonic wrote:
May i know what you mean by sometimes work when install with media server? DOes it mean it wont work everytime?

Whenu say login remotely..does it mean either remote access through rdp, pcanywhere, etc?

So there is totally no way to run the command remotely by copying the execu. to another pc or server? Thanks

You can run many of the NetBackup commands from the media servers. The commands aere already installed on the media servers. You just need to add a hook that gives the name of the master server.

When you remote login (remote desktop or whatever) then it is the same as being logged into the master but you don't have to have physical access to the console.

I do not recommend copying the executables and then running them on another server. But then I am not known as "Bob the Brave" Smiley Very Happy

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Johnny mnemonic wrote:
Hi,

May i know is there any way to run netbackup command such as bperror, bpimagelist, bpdbjobs, etc from another windows server or pc that is not install with any netbackup software.

My master server is running on windows 2003.

Hope to hear from all soon.

There is no way to run NetBackup commands on machines on which no NetBackup commands have been installed, because they're not there.  (?)

Johnny mnemonic wrote:

Oh, that's a different question!  Smiley Wink

The server where you're running the command will have to be in the trusted server list on your master.  If it isn't, it definitely won't work.  (Or at least it SHOULDN'T, anyway.)  A lot of commands will need switches which point to the master server (usually something like "-m <master.host.name>" but not always - always consult the appropriate NetBackup Commands Guide)

I'm not sure where you're going with this line of question.  Are you concerned that people may be trying to get information from your master without your authorization, or are you looking for a way to get information from a master you don't have access to, or something else?

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
A kool way to manage wintel boxes that have NBU installed:

I use "psexec"...

It can be downloaded @:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/PsTools.mspx

Create a list of all your servers...  flat file txt...

Here's a few examples of it's use:

Run the scan program on all the servers:
psexec \\@somefile.txt -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\volmgr\bin\scan"

Check NBU process on all the servers:
psexec \\@somefile.txt -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> bpps

Check drive status on each server:
psexec \\@Somefile.txt -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmoprcmd"

Check drive status on just one server:
psexec \\<Server> -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmoprcmd"

Shutdown NBU on all the servers:
psexec \\@somefile.txt -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpdown -S"

Shutdown NBU on a client:
psexec \\<client>  -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpdown -c"

Bring up NBU on all the servers:
psexec \\@somefile.txt -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpup -S"

Bring NBU up on a client:
psexec \\<client> -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpup -c"

Shutdown NBU on one server:
psexec \\<Server> -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpdown -S"

Bring up NBU up on one server:
psexec \\<Server> -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpup -S"

Bring up a cmd terminal on a client:
psexec \\<client> -u veritasadmin -p <passwd> cmd

Whats real kool is....  if there are too many logins on a box...  you can still log in and do you thing with this!

Joe Despres

nox
Level 4
another vote for psexec for wintel boxes, I use it in scripts and it works great.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
I wish I could write scripts for wintel.....

I'm a unix person...

I've concentrated too much on unix....

Used Dos in my old bbs days.....  way way long ago....

Joe Despres

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I just have to ask

WHY?

why do you want to run a netbackup command on another client if the command is not installed.

if the command is not installed that it really is not a command you need on the other server.

so maybe we should vist just what it is you are trying to achive.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
psexec works, but you need to commands or application installed on the client side, other will not work.

zippy
Level 6
remsh

Johnny_mnemonic
Level 4
Hi,

alot of guys are asking why shld i run the command remotely.

Basically i have a central server that will collect logs from netbackup and backup exec to generate some report on the backup status.

As i do not wish to schedule a task on the netbackup server to generate the log and then another task on the central server to collect the log to process the report.

Hence i would like it to be cleanly done at one central server. In fact i had done it on this central server by collect logs from 30 backup exec media server. Thanks