Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore SAP HANA database to different client with different db name

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I am trying to restore an SAP HANA database ABC on client1 to database DEF on client2. I can restore ABC to ABC on client1 without any issue. But when I try to restore ABC on client1 to DEF on client2, I am getting "No data backup found" error in SAP HANA Studio. Did anyone do this kind of restore?

Netbackup version: 7.7

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jorasatt
Level 2

My anser 23 hiurs ago is what you need to do and check.

I assume as in any regular HANA installation your DB ABC is on one host and your DB DEF is on another host and you are doing a redirected restore thru HANA Studio on DEF.

If that is the case I just answerd that you need to create/edit node_names.txt under /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/sap/ on your host DEF

You put your hostname of ABC databse in that file, this tells Netbackup that you want to be able to browse the backups of your ABC host.

HANA DB must be on SPS10 and you need to check the DBA agent for HANA release notes so you are on the correct version for the redirected restore.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you read the manual?

Mile_cn
Level 3
Partner Accredited
It's SAP HANA , I thought it was SAP with Oracle. ^_^

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree with WTV - look for redirected restore in the manual. There are steps to be taken on the master server to authorise redirected restore and on client2 you need to start restore for client1.

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

I could not find anything about redirected restore for SAP HANA in the SAP admin guide ( https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC8596 ) 

If it is not too difficult can you please say the page that I need to look at.

By the way, I created No.Restrictions file in master server.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I'd think twice before creating a No.Restrictions file.  Use of this file has an impressive list of negative implications.  I hope you didn't do this on a whim in a production environment.  If it is production, then did you get prior approval from your Information Security officer?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I was solving similar issue with SAP MAXDB during last weeks. The point was that alternate client restore is supported, but database name must be the same. Maybe there is something like this with SAP HANA. But it is my guess. If not documented, I recommend to create a support call.

Regards

Michal

jorasatt
Level 2

Hi, You need to add source hostname in target hostname in the file node_names.txt to allow a different host to read the backup.

Michal_Mikulik1

First try a common file restore, initiated from a different client. If it works, then it is something on SAP side.

jorasatt
Level 2

My anser 23 hiurs ago is what you need to do and check.

I assume as in any regular HANA installation your DB ABC is on one host and your DB DEF is on another host and you are doing a redirected restore thru HANA Studio on DEF.

If that is the case I just answerd that you need to create/edit node_names.txt under /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/sap/ on your host DEF

You put your hostname of ABC databse in that file, this tells Netbackup that you want to be able to browse the backups of your ABC host.

HANA DB must be on SPS10 and you need to check the DBA agent for HANA release notes so you are on the correct version for the redirected restore.

wesleycosta
Level 1

The above changes did not work for me

I used bprestore was to send the data to file system on the selected destination server.

We use SAP HANA Studio, we highlight the path restored with logs and data and we perform recovery

bprestore -B -L /tmp/restore.log -C CLIENT-A -D CLIENT-B -R /tmp/local.txt -s 07/16/2020 00:00:00 -e 07/20/2020 00:00:00 -t 7 -p policy -f /tmp/listfile.txt